Flats suck

Randomguy

Bleh.  On the bright side, it was easy to remove the tube and find the sharp wire segment to pull out.  On the not bright side, I used a 4 year-old (at least tube) and used my 5 year-old (at least) Co2 cartridges and got about 20lbs of air each into the tire, and the tube isn't holding air so well.  I didn't know that sealed Co2 cartridges would lose air to that extent, how long do you think they are generally good for?

I also hit something hard enough to rotate the bars a quarter turn down in a separate incident.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I have never known them to lose pressure.  I have on numerous occasions had operator error that resulted in a substandard amount of air getting into the tube.   I would suspect this could be your cause?  

100%.

I have a box of CO2 carts from a decade or more in the garage (BB gun leftovers).  They do not ever lose pressure unless punctured.  A 12g BB-gun CO2 really only gets a 25mm tire to ~60psi in real world use.  Generally, I go with the hand pump to get it a few PSI (round and up into the tire, and then I hit it with controlled bursts of CO2.  That makes the tire feel firm, but not floor pump 90 PSI firm.  I then ride some more and, if it is a long ride, I see how it is feeling after a bit of riding, and if it needs another hit of CO2, I give it maybe a 1/2 cart more.  

When I get home, I deflate the tire and refill with regular floor pump air. And replace the spent carts with "new" 10+ yr old carts.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I have never known them to lose pressure.  I have on numerous occasions had operator error that resulted in a substandard amount of air getting into the tube.   I would suspect this could be your cause?  

I am quite experienced changing flats!  :angry:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

No way I want to carry a pump like the average Amish rider, not in this day and age.  One tube, 3 Co2 cartridges, patch kit, multitool, that is pretty much what I have carried for the last 20 years.

I hate conventional frame pumps but I really heart the Topeak roadmorph. Yes, it is a pain to mount but I am way too cheap and paranoid to ever depend on co2 alone. 

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

No way I want to carry a pump like the average Amish rider, not in this day and age.  One tube, 3 Co2 cartridges, patch kit, multitool, that is pretty much what I have carried for the last 20 years.

I like the saddlebag with 2 carts, tube, & a useless patch kit, and the Lezyne pump in my back pocket.  It's small & light, and useful for getting that tube partially inflated.

image.png.5fda42efe328666c5238401464869231.png

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

100%.

I have a box of CO2 carts from a decade or more in the garage (BB gun leftovers).  They do not ever lose pressure unless punctured.  A 12g BB-gun CO2 really only gets a 25mm tire to ~60psi in real world use.  Generally, I go with the hand pump to get it a few PSI (round and up into the tire, and then I hit it with controlled bursts of CO2.  That makes the tire feel firm, but not floor pump 90 PSI firm.  I then ride some more and, if it is a long ride, I see how it is feeling after a bit of riding, and if it needs another hit of CO2, I give it maybe a 1/2 cart more.  

When I get home, I deflate the tire and refill with regular floor pump air. And replace the spent carts with "new" 10+ yr old carts.

Hmm, I have one left from the batch I ordered ten - twelve years ago, so I ordered more last night.

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

YMMV Only tire I ever flatted on while still new.:(

You guys done steered me wrong.

I've had broken glass (bottom of a effing bottle riding over the bridge into Georgetown on my way to work) destroy a relatively new Gatorskin. :angry:

I've had relatively new tires ruined with a totally random cut which I guess I could boot, but just toss and start fresh.  Sheot happens to the best tires and sometimes the worst last forever.  I bet, though, that RG might be in an especially crappy debris field, and need to think about tubeless and sealant options by now. 

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hmm, I have one left from the batch I ordered ten - twelve years ago, so I ordered more last night.

What size of cartridge?  If you are using the same cartridge from your 23's, maybe they wont fill your now bigger tires?  I have only filled my 25s with them and nothing bigger.  Not sure what volume they will hold.

Or....., you could always.... and give us an honest review....

20200811_072311.jpg

4 minutes ago, groupw said:

I agree with @Philander Seabury. This is a great pump! And BTW - flats don't suck...they blow...

frame pump.jpg

Back when I first got my Roubaix with super sticky Specialized tires, I used to pick up a lot of crap on my tires that often led to a lot of flats.  I used the Roadmorph during those days especially when on a long ride away from home like up on Skyline.  Definitely worth it (until I got Gatorskins and then 4000).

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Of course had you had a frame pump then you would be complaining about your user error with the malfunctioning CO2 cartridge.

It's amazing how often I spot a person with a floor pump strapped to a rear rack or poking out a backpack when they are out for a ride.  I'd figure out how to beg/borrow/steal a frame pump before I'd be lugging that floor pump with me.  I don't even like to throw the floor pump in the car's trunk.

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

The low pressure tires just sucked up all of the little bumps in the trail. It was a smooth ride. 

Gives all the suspension I need - but then, I’m not launching off shit, anymore.

After 30, anything you break stays broke.

• Haha 1