August 11 miles & such

Parsnip Totin Jack

24 mile solo ride. Started at 5:20 and rode back roads with no traffic. Nice morning for a ride. At the entrance to one of the subdivisions that I cut through, somebody put up a new sign.  They were annoyed enough to shop for, buy, and post a sign for cyclists to slow down on 25 mph streets. I’m not sure anyone rides through there faster than that. But it’s a popular route for the Razorlandia cycling club so it’s probably them that’s to blame. 

3899D0D2-CC0D-47C0-98FD-2F3FE4CFF082.jpeg

• Heart 4

55 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

24 mile solo ride. Started at 5:20 and rode back roads with no traffic. Nice morning for a ride. At the entrance to one of the subdivisions that I cut through, somebody put up a new sign.  They were annoyed enough to shop for, buy, and post a sign for cyclists to slow down on 25 mph streets. I’m not sure anyone rides through there faster than that. But it’s a popular route for the Razorlandia cycling club so it’s probably them that’s to blame. 

3899D0D2-CC0D-47C0-98FD-2F3FE4CFF082.jpeg

Man, I rarely hit 25mph in a neighborhood!!!!  Damn e-bikes screwing with things :D

I live right off a stretch of the W&OD where folks of all skills can easily get up a nice head of steam but which is also popular with pedestrians.  Idiots on bikes are truly a problem. I generally am either warming up or cooling down in the Reston to Herndon stretch of the trail which also happens to be pretty well used by walkers and joggers, and recently wanted to club two different sets of "roadies" that still thought it was proper to be weaving and buzzing folks.  Real "cool" guys :(  

FTR, that's a MOTORCYCLE, not a BICYCLE!  So, motorcyclists are to blame! 

image.png.c9eb2a998e12327f9353492049054693.png

WoJSTL and I walked 3 miles this morning from the hotel. We probably won't get in a bike ride until Friday at the earliest. 

I have gone over 25 mph in a neighborhood before. Cop had a speed trap set up and I  was trying to get a ticket. I wanted to frame it. It was in military housing and I wouldn't have to pay anything - just explain to my boss which would have been fun. Three passes by the cop and he didn't bite. I guess radar can't see carbon fiber?

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

At the entrance to one of the subdivisions that I cut through, somebody put up a new sign.  They were annoyed enough to shop for, buy, and post a sign for cyclists to slow down on 25 mph streets.

To me, if you're biking the speed limit, all is ok and legal.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, groupw said:

6 on the commute. 33@18.8 on the group ride. If you knew the route and how many stops and starts it takes to get out of town, that is more impressive. We are normally hard pressed to get to 18!  

Down here, for whatever reason, the riding was "easier" today.  I'm still sore from my MTB ride on Sun, but yesterday's road ride was quite a fun one.  I also couldn't figure out the wind direction.  It felt (and sounded) like a headwind, but riding was too easy for that to be true and also unlikely in both directions.  Maybe the air was "thinner" for a change? I still sweat like a maniac, though.

14 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

To me, if you're biking the speed limit, all is ok and legal.

I bet it is related to blowing through stop signs as much as "speeding".  Too many of our club riders act like jerks (and individuals as well).  Folks seem to behave differently (stupidly) when in packs :(

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1