I don't think I'll leave the house all week

Kirby

Yeah - some cars are stupidly over-complicated.  Others are just crappy to drive.  I got a X3 for like a few weeks when my car was being patched up from hitting a deer :( and it was like blindspot city!  Seriously crappy all around.  Fun in a straight line or where the road was free of cars to worry about, and it did have all the accident avoidance stuff, but really, not a great "get in and go" car/SUV.

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Welcome to the club of aging boomers :whistle:  Sometimes  you feel like you are on the starship enterprise.

Audi has the e-tron commercial with the little kid coming out to the car in a spacesuit like it is a "good" thing to overly complicate something.

Yeah, 5 years ago when buying the car I have now I was test driving a car.  At the dealership I thought the radio was a bit loud but I was OK with that.  A couple miles down the road it became annoying and the temp was uncomfortable and the entertainment/information center was trying to tell me stuff I couldn't pay attention to while driving a new car.  I pulled into a parking lot and spent a few minutes trying to figure stuff out.  The only thing I figured out was the volume because there was a steering mounted volume control.  Had I wanted the vehicle the other crap would not have driven me away.  Easy enough to figure out when not on a test drive.  It would have driven WoKzoo up a wall.  She takes............. a................ while...............to ..................... warm............... up ..............to..................technology.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

As an X'r, I hate all this new fangled technology. Change sucks.

I watch the random car shows on Motortrend where they are fixing and modding cars & trucks.

No one EVER asks for them to make the car have more ridiculous electronic dash stuff.  Sure, once in a while a fancy stereo or a digital dash, but never techno-overkill.

• Heart 1

Well what kind of car is it?  We need this vital information.  

I took my truck into the shop for a vent repair I did not want to do.  They did a brake recall for me while I was there.  Crazy, my master cylinder has had a recall for oh about 75 thousand miles now.  It's not like I tow 7000 pounds with it frequently or anything.  

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I watch the random car shows on Motortrend where they are fixing and modding cars & trucks.

No one EVER asks for them to make the car have more ridiculous electronic dash stuff.  Sure, once in a while a fancy stereo or a digital dash, but never techno-overkill.

Remember this show? People w/ too much money would pimp out all kinds of cars that needed nothing. I'd tune in from time-to-time just for bleeps & giggles, and why the F do you need multiple TVs, and video game systems in a car?:wacko:

unique_whips.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

There is one feature I always wanted but never got, a volume control that increases with speed to compensate for road noise.  I’ve loved it on rental cars, but I think Honda does not want to admit that their cars get noisier the faster you go, but that is just physics, unless it is isolated and insulated and deadened like a Rolls Royce or something. 

I remember reading CD reviews years ago where people just hated i-drive in BMWs, apparently a big ass button that was ‘sposed to do everything. I wonder if they copied that from the original iPod?

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

There is one feature I always wanted but never got, a volume control that increases with speed to compensate for road noise.  I’ve loved it on rental cars, but I think Honda does not want to admit that their cars get noisier the faster you go, but that is just physics, unless it is isolated and insulated and deadened like a Rolls Royce or something. 

This is kinda cool. My Trailblazer stock radio has this. It does work.

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

There is one feature I always wanted but never got, a volume control that increases with speed to compensate for road noise

My GoldWing had that. It wasn't progressive though. It jumped up a notch at 35MPH. 

My Ridgeline supposedly has it, but I never noticed it - maybe that's because it's working as it should.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

My GoldWing had that. It wasn't progressive though. It jumped up a notch at 35MPH. 

My Ridgeline supposedly has it, but I never noticed it - maybe that's because it's working as it should.

Owl have to see if the new crv  has that. The 2013 Civic does snot. 

All the crazy stuff they put on cars and trucks amazes me.  My brothers truck has the high beams on all the time unless it senses another car coming or sees tail lights of a vehicle ahead, then it dims the lights.  He cannot figure out how to turn that feature off.

35 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Well what kind of car is it?  We need this vital information.  

I took my truck into the shop for a vent repair I did not want to do.  They did a brake recall for me while I was there.  Crazy, my master cylinder has had a recall for oh about 75 thousand miles now.  It's not like I tow 7000 pounds with it frequently or anything.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Feature bloat is everywhere, it’s not just restricted to cars. 
It’s what happens when Marketing takes over from Engineering. 

The problem is that when people do reviews for cars (or anything that is reasonably complicated) the reviewer will put up a matrix of various features and put dots in if the feature exists.  When they do this when comparing products across different manufacturers, marketing wants to have as more dots than their competitor.  It doesn't have anything to do with whether the feature adds value, it has more to do with wanting to out dot the competition.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

The problem is that when people do reviews for cars (or anything that is reasonably complicated) the reviewer will put up a matrix of various features and put dots in if the feature exists.  When they do this when comparing products across different manufacturers, marketing wants to have as more dots than their competitor.  It doesn't have anything to do with whether the feature adds value, it has more to do with wanting to out dot the competition.

Here is my car.  It blows yours away.
image.png.5317b8f726fd971440b2664883fd3ac3.png

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jsharr said:

All the crazy stuff they put on cars and trucks amazes me.  My brothers truck has the high beams on all the time unless it senses another car coming or sees tail lights of a vehicle ahead, then it dims the lights.  He cannot figure out how to turn that feature off.

That works well in the new crv, but it is quite conservative, dimming when cars are a looong way off. 

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

I brought my car in for them to fix a recall.  I thought the person on the phone told me it would take a day, but when I got there they told me it would be 3-5 days but they'd give me a loaner.  The loaner is significantly larger than my little compact car and has all sorts of fancy equipment that I don't really understand.  I drove home with the air conditioning blasting on high because I couldn't figure out how to turn it down. There were also two lights that seemed to come on and turn off shortly afterwards for no apparent reason.    I was very relieved to get it home in one piece but I don't think I"ll be driving much this week.

I had similar experiences the two times my 2013 base automatic Honda Fit was hit from behind by pickup trucks - softly but hard enough to need several days in the shop.

The first rental was a 2014 Ford Taurus - I had love my 1996 Taurus which I had up to 2013.  The new one had little that was different except complicated controls, many of which I didn't understand or required multiple button pushes to do different stuff. It was much, much harder to change folders on my music USB drive and the simple, efficient setup on my Fit.

The second rental was a 2017 Subaru Forrester that I loved overall, especially for its safety features like warning you if you drove over a white line in the road, had something behind you if you wanted to back up plus the backup camera, and warned you if your head tilted over in case you were falling asleep.

But to do anything also required a bunch of buttons.  I sat at a pump in a gas station for at least 10 minutes, looking through the 300+ page, poorly-indexed manual trying to figure out how to open the locked gas-cap door - turns out there's a lever just inside the driver's-side front door.

21 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

She is teasing us. I think she would have said if it was a WRX turbo, though. :D
The new crv has a turbo but you can’t even tell!  Too subdued  

Oh you can prob tell.  try unhooking some of the plumbing to the turbo and see how it runs then!