No good deed goes unpunished

jsharr

So in an attempt to conform to the facial covering laws, I keep a neck gaiter and banadanas around to cover my face.

Read a study that my two choices of facial coverings may actually increase my potential to spread covid 19 all around.

Yay. 

https://nationalpost.com/health/fleece-neck-gaiters-and-bandanas-are-lease-effective-at-stopping-covid-19-droplets-study-finds

Maybe you should ban me from here, as I almost always wear a bandana, and nothing else, when posting.

• Haha 1

Too good for a normal mask???  WTF???

I rolled gator/gaiter/buff when riding for a while until it got too hot.  The bandana was good in a pinch too, but pretty much normal masks seem much easier and fit better.  Luckily, I'm at a "once a week" in public buildings frequency, so it really is easy still.

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

That study is stupid to say they increase the potential to spread the virus.

It says they can break the big particles into smaller particles, which travel further and/or stay suspended in the air longer.  And since I use the 5G wifi, it is probably even worse than that.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

It says they can break the big particles into smaller particles, which travel further and/or stay suspended in the air longer.  And since I use the 5G wifi, it is probably even worse than that.

Interesting because it seems like that video from yesterday seems to indicate that lesser exposure to the COVID (a bunch of small particles instead of a bunch of large particles) might give you the microdose you need to get infected but not sick. 

I think more studies are definitely in order!

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

My face realizing I am at the Brothell coffee shop rubbing my eyes in this covid infected hell hole. But they do have good drip and one the best maple bars in town. So clearly worth the trade off.

Are you really out on the town for no reasonable justification?

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Interesting because it seems like that video from yesterday seems to indicate that lesser exposure to the COVID (a bunch of small particles instead of a bunch of large particles) might give you the microdose you need to get infected but not sick. 

I think more studies are definitely in order!

I would like to see a study of the effect of push up bras or bikinis on covid.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I would like to see a study of the effect of push up bras or bikinis on covid.

Drool likely contains a pretty heavy concentration of COVID, but, on the plus side, likely the drool falls straight to the ground where it is not in great danger of becoming airborne.

But, I also think you might want to post a few pics of the push up bras and bikinis you think should be part of the study. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Drool likely contains a pretty heavy concentration of COVID, but, on the plus side, likely the drool falls straight to the ground where it is not in great danger of becoming airborne.

But, I also think you might want to post a few pics of the push up bras and bikinis you think should be part of the study. 

Bikini Bottom Face Mask" Mask by sloppyoctopus | Redbubble

The local PBS Stations (Maryland Public Broadcasting and D.C. WETA) have had medical discussion shows where they urge 3-ply masks.

The only 3-ply listed in the excellent article you gave a link to (14 masks tested at bottom here) was the "surgical mask" listed as most effective.  Mine is 3-ply but is called "Disposable Face Mask and says "not intended for use by healthcare professionals in an operating room," though it also says disposal should be according to "hospital requirements."  Nevertheless, it's picture to the left of the woman below looks virtually identical to the 3-ply "surgical mask" shown as the winner in the tests - picture at bottom.  It is made of "non-woven fabrics."  I'm happy with it, though I haven't had to wear it for more than an hour at a time.

Mine lies flat initially, but has that bendable strip along the top to grip the nose and resembles the surgical mask after that's done.  It's also identical to the mask my family doctor provided in March when I had a sinus problem except mine a blue and his was white.

I got a box of 50 from Amazon which says "Dispose after 1 use," but that's surely to make you buy often.  I wear mine less than an hour at a time and they're allowed to dry in my hot car between uses - which are usually a few days or more apart - so I reuse them, rotating among a few masks. I put 10 in a Ziploc bag in my glove compartment in case I forget to take some with me or someone I know needs one, and reuse them for a month or more.63022834_50disposablemasks.thumb.JPG.84528b49b021759888348253cc8961c7.JPG

“This was just a demonstration — more work is required to investigate variations in masks, speakers, and how people wear them — but it demonstrates that this sort of test could easily be conducted by businesses and others that are providing masks to their employees or patrons,” Fischer said in the news release

masks-.png?quality=100&strip=all&w=564 Researchers tested 14 different face masks or mask alternatives and one mask material (not pictured). Emma Fischer, Duke University

53 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The local PBS Stations (Maryland Public Broadcasting and D.C. WETA) have had medical discussion shows where they urge 3-ply masks.

The only 3-ply listed in the excellent article you gave a link to (14 masks tested at bottom here) was the "surgical mask" listed as most effective.  Mine is 3-ply but is called "Disposable Face Mask and says "not intended for use by healthcare professionals in an operating room," though it also says disposal should be according to "hospital requirements."  Nevertheless, it's picture to the left of the woman below looks virtually identical to the 3-ply "surgical mask" shown as the winner in the tests - picture at bottom.  It is made of "non-woven fabrics."  I'm happy with it, though I haven't had to wear it for more than an hour at a time.

Mine lies flat initially, but has that bendable strip along the top to grip the nose and resembles the surgical mask after that's done.  It's also identical to the mask my family doctor provided in March when I had a sinus problem except mine a blue and his was white.

I got a box of 50 from Amazon which says "Dispose after 1 use," but that's surely to make you buy often.  I wear mine less than an hour at a time and they're allowed to dry in my hot car between uses - which are usually a few days or more apart - so I reuse them, rotating among a few masks. I put 10 in a Ziploc bag in my glove compartment in case I forget to take some with me or someone I know needs one, and reuse them for a month or more.63022834_50disposablemasks.thumb.JPG.84528b49b021759888348253cc8961c7.JPG

“This was just a demonstration — more work is required to investigate variations in masks, speakers, and how people wear them — but it demonstrates that this sort of test could easily be conducted by businesses and others that are providing masks to their employees or patrons,” Fischer said in the news release

masks-.png?quality=100&strip=all&w=564 Researchers tested 14 different face masks or mask alternatives and one mask material (not pictured). Emma Fischer, Duke University

My wife gets surgical masks from work. My other mask is N95. 

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

My wife gets surgical masks from work. My other mask is N95. 

"Got"! She "got" surgical masks from work.  Now she is going to need to steal grab a whole bunch in anticipation of no longer being able to bring them home for you.

If it's about not absorbing but breaking up the particles isn't it more about the fabric than the form?  The study needs more study.

I've been seeing a bunch of people posting this all over Facebook, making sure everyone dutifully burns their bandanas.  I think society would be better served if they made sure everyone dutifully burned their bras instead.

OK, maybe not EVERYONE.