Well now we know why football is in trouble

maddmaxx

Myocarditis.  Inflammation of the heart muscle.

Now found in young athletes who had no symptom or mild symptom versions of Covid-19.    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2020/08/10/college-football-season-lost-months-ago-coronavirus-response/3337127001/

Do we really want football back so badly that we don't care if we kill a few along the way?

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Speak for yourself.  Plenty of folks don't mind if they risk their lives. Why change directions now?

Well hell, it should be ok to allow people to climb skyscrapers again.  The occasional blood stain on the sidewalk is just the cost of freedom.

In addition to sports, there are a lot of ramifications for the young going forward as we stuff them into the classroom again.

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

"In Germany, a study of recovered patients found that 78% had structural changes to their hearts and 60% showed signs of myocarditis."

Do you have a link to the study or, more preferably, an article that summarizes it for idiots link me?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Do you have a link to the study or, more preferably, an article that summarizes it for idiots link me?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid19-concerns-about-lasting-heart-damage/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

Do you even Google?

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Well hell, it should be ok to allow people to climb skyscrapers again.  The occasional blood stain on the sidewalk is just the cost of freedom.

In addition to sports, there are a lot of ramifications for the young going forward as we stuff them into the classroom again.

Education is overrated. Jesus.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You could try the OP.  I believe Dots was quoting it.  There are many others however.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

See post number #1.

I just looked at the pictures.

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Is Google like  the Dewy Decimal System?

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Wait! You can't climb skyscrapers???? 

But strangely, freedom really does mean you can put yourself at some level of risk - all the way to risking life and limb.  Certainly, climbing Everest, even "sanitized" as it is these days, is still likely (definitely) riskier than folks playing football.

24 minutes ago, Dottles said:

"In Germany, a study of recovered patients found that 78% had structural changes to their hearts and 60% showed signs of myocarditis."

Jim Harbaugh assured me that nothing bad will happen.  Who should we listen to, a study by a group of scientist who are looking for government grants or a football coach?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Jim Harbaugh assured me that nothing bad will happen.  Who should we listen to, a study by a group of scientist who are looking for government grants or a football coach?

What's tough to understand is that the coaches, staff, and ownership are the group MOST at risk, as many skew towards older and less than ideal physical condition.  In any case, it seems like a lot of moving parts to run something like a football team with lots of potential for quick spread of COVID. Pro players, at least, have a stronger ability to choose to sit out a season than do college kids.

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But strangely, freedom really does mean you can put yourself at some level of risk - all the way to risking life and limb.  Certainly, climbing Everest, even "sanitized" as it is these days, is still likely (definitely) riskier than folks playing football.

Sure, and football is a lot of fun so long as it's someone else risking their lives for your enjoyment.  I suspect that this points to some fundamental problems in our society.

Mind that I do follow NASCAR racing and yes I do ascribe to your attitude toward their acceptance of risks, but in the case of football, we are first and foremost speaking of the safety of children, those who begin in the peewee leagues and progress through high school and then college before turning pro and giving their bodies over to our enjoyment.  Perhaps the days of cannon fodder didn't end with rotten brain images but covid will surely be the final straw, at least till there is a vaccine and the players can go back to voluntarily damaging each other.

40 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sure, and football is a lot of fun so long as it's someone else risking their lives for your enjoyment.  I suspect that this points to some fundamental problems in our society.

Mind that I do follow NASCAR racing and yes I do ascribe to your attitude toward their acceptance of risks, but in the case of football, we are first and foremost speaking of the safety of children, those who begin in the peewee leagues and progress through high school and then college before turning pro and giving their bodies over to our enjoyment.  Perhaps the days of cannon fodder didn't end with rotten brain images but covid will surely be the final straw, at least till there is a vaccine and the players can go back to voluntarily damaging each other.

Boxing, MMA, or hockey?  Sports where punching (and sometimes kicking) are encouraged, or, literally, the whole point. I'm not sure what different societies do to regulate those sports any more or less than we do.

But, football - for kids under 18 - is, to me, covered with all other sports right now.  I'm in the WTF??? category, but it is parents making those choices, not me, and I'm really hesitant to go down that path of blanket banning of activities.

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Boxing, MMA, or hockey?  Sports where punching (and sometimes kicking) are encouraged, or, literally, the whole point. I'm not sure what different societies do to regulate those sports any more or less than we do.

But, football - for kids under 18 - is, to me, covered with all other sports right now.  I'm in the WTF??? category, but it is parents making those choices, not me, and I'm really hesitant to go down that path of blanket banning of activities.

I played hockey growing up.  The punching kicking are VERY discouraged.  Checking is allowed but you have to be older.  I think 12 or 13 before it is allowed.  The checking at that age can be dangerous since puberty hits boys around that age so you'll have some pretty big kids playing against some who haven't started growing.

32 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe it’s different in other states but HS fall sports are all postponed here. They may hold them in the spring but no 17 YO is playing football.  College football is still undecided but an announcement should be coming soon.

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sure you can...  (It's probably still illegal.)   WoBG and I were in Chicago back in 1981 (was my girlfriend back then) and 'Spiderman Dan' was climbing the John Hancock Tower (100 stories) and we just happened to be there and watched for a while.  The interesting (more like disturbing) thing was the some of the people there were wanting this guy to fall. :huh:

https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2018/11/dan-goodwin-spiderman-scaled-john-hancock-building-and-sears-tower-in-1981.html

There is no “need” for college or professional sports, there is just the need for some to appear that life is returning to normal, and the desire to make large amounts of money. The continued disbelief about the infectiousness of this virus is astounding.

My Governor has made the “strong recommendation” that all high school (and below) sports be postponed until January 2021, but of course local schools are doing whatever they feel like.

E6EA03E3-90F4-43A0-B172-BE86979FE91C.png

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

14? I stopped following when Penn State took them to 11. At least they had a catchy logo then with the 11 included into the “BIGTEN” print.

Who did they add, since?

Penn State/ Nebraska = 12 Then Rutgers/Maryland = 14   I still have to pause at time and think, 14?

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Asterisk champion.  Meh.

Kill some for the Gipper.

Luckily, no sane person complains about that.  It almost makes sense to create a "premier" league for all US sports where it is like 8 teams that play each other for all the marbles each year, and the rest are sort of the minor leagues.  It would definitely spice up sports if we only ever had a Cleveland game if they were ever good enough to make the premier group, otherwise, no more Cleveland sports' disasters (on national TV).

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

But frankly at this time it makes no sense to play college football.  At least the pros are getting paid to destroy themselves.

I do have a hard time wrapping my head around an empty college campus with only the football players there in person. Or maybe the SEC and ACC are also planning to bring their students back to in-class learning?

Sort of puts a hole in the whole student-athlete idea.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Even if they do not play, A&M will be able to lose a few games.

With A&M, isn't the only question whether the band will perform or not????

Think football is risky, try marching in tight formation while strongly exhaling for many minutes with 100+ of your band mates.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

With A&M, isn't the only question whether the band will perform or not????

Think football is risky, try marching in tight formation while strongly exhaling for many minutes with 100+ of your band mates.

The Aggie Band has never lost a halftime.  EVER.