As an elderly man stalled me for 5 minutes...

Dirtyhip

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How would I get home?  

I love this shitty bike.

:ban:

You should have told him he looked hawt and that he could probably still ride a bunch of miles fast.  THAT would have made his day almost as much as LJ's vigorous groining by the aggressive nurse.  Nobody tells old guys stuff like that, probably would've made his year.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You should have told him he looked hawt and that he could probably still ride a bunch of miles fast.  THAT would have made his day almost as much as LJ's vigorous groining by the aggressive nurse.  Nobody tells old guys stuff like that, probably would've made his year.

I can tell you, even if she doesn't overt her eyes, he will be enamored.

I always find it funny that older gentlemen seem to gravitate to my wife.  She always seems to get chatted up by the geezers for one reason or the other.  Often times it’s the grocery store but it happens at the beach, the park & while walking Jack.

If I can I try to fade back and hide when it happens so I don’t get sucked in.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

This made me think of how in a hurry we are. 

Had to pay a library fine today.  As I was locking up the bike, and elderly man started to talk to me.  He was admiring my bike.  <laughing>  It's the shittiest bike I own.  Anyway, He went on to tell me that he has a folding bike.  It has strange sized wheels, so he is having trouble finding tubes.  I tell him to go to the LBS, and not Walmart.  Then he goes on to tell me how much he loves riding, his surgery for trigger finger, where he used to like to ride, how much fun he had doing it, ...

About three minutes goes by.  He is chatting so much, I can barely get in a word to tell him I have cheese and butter in my bag and had better shove on.  <he continues to talk>

I didn't want to interrupt him, and he clearly was not good at social cues.

Eventually, he took a breath.  :D  I said he should get that bike operational and to have a nice day.  

The whole interaction was less than 5 minutes.  It made me wonder how many people would have been direct and shut him off, or walked away.  I think that seeing bikes invokes conversation with some people.  A little kindness and patience is good for the soul.  

For sure the bike, was the common subject.  YOu might have been the only person that day or week for him to chat up.  

This may happen....to any of us later one day as we lose family and friends in life.

You were truly worried about  your cheese & butter,...aha?

I find cheese doesn't go bad for 1-2 hrs. after I go outside on a hot summer day and put it in my pannier. And that's living and biking in areas at 90% humidity.  Don't know about butter.  

I talk to old people all day long :dontknow:...some just come to check in..some complain about repairs...some talk about family or friends.

At the end of the day..a resident was dropping off a form...her hair looked nice and I asked if she just got it done..LOL..last week. So I said " did you wrap it in toilet paper? I remember my mom wrapping her hair in  toilet paper"....Well..we went on to talk hair, parents, longevity, death...all in a matter of 5 or 10 mi utes.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

I talk to old people all day long :dontknow:...some just come to check in..some complain about repairs...some talk about family or friends.

At the end of the day..a resident was dropping off a form...her hair looked nice and I asked if she just got it done..LOL..last week. So I said " did you wrap it in toilet paper? I remember my mom wrapping her hair in  toilet paper"....Well..we went on to talk hair, parents, longevity, death...all in a matter of 5 or 10 mi utes.

I agree, it should not be an extraordinary event, for a person to talk to an elderly person for 3-5 min. even if it feels longer than normal.  Alot don't talk about anything more unusual than some of the crazy things we talk about amongst ourselves.  

I'm not sure I could ever get my hair looking so good without even washing it every 2 days or so. Now I wash it nearly daily. The longest ever has been 4 days before hair washing...just after my concussion. I couldn't stand up straight in the shower without getting dizzy.