The unexplained

a bunch of numbers

When I was a kid, I looked out my bedroom window and saw figures with strange hooded garments gathered around a glow of some sort.  Freaked me out.

Was probably easy to explain.  Some sort of utility worker maybe wearing hooded coats on a cold night working by lantern light?  Really do not know.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

When I was a kid, I looked out my bedroom window and saw figures with strange hooded garments gathered around a glow of some sort.  Freaked me out.

Was probably easy to explain.  Some sort of utility worker maybe wearing hooded coats on a cold night working by lantern light?  Really do not know.

Very KKK-like.  Just sayin'.

#nottoolatetomovenorth

I will never be able to explain how Alitalia was able to get my checked bag from the plane I was on to the plane that I was flying to Amsterdam within 10 minutes. Italians have a general attitude of lackadaisical. Whatever happens, it happens. I was flying from Naples to Milan. Connect to a KLM flight to Amsterdam. The flight out of Naples was delayed (reference Italian definition for lackadaisical) We arrive at the gate, I have five minutes to make my connection in Milan. I’ve resigned to waiting hours for another flight. A gate agent comes on the plane and calls my name. He says he is going to get me on my connection. What about my checked bag? We got it he says. I’m not optimistic but he drives me in a cart to my KLM flight. I get there and they’re waiting for the last passenger, me. The door is closed before I’m buckled in and off we go. No way, they got my suitcase. In Amsterdam, I’m reunited with my suitcase. How’d they do that?

• Heart 1

My dog, (the one to the left) had what we called the Chewbacca football.  It was a furry stuffed football, a dog toy.  One day we were playing with it, the next day it was gone.  I can't find that thing anywhere, no remnant of it, nothing.  It's the size of a football, so you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to find.  nope...

Same with a red Kong ball.  It's about the size of a baseball, but I can't find that either.

She's a good dog.

• Heart 1

One day my dog was staring out the front window with a lot of concentration. I looked to see what she was staring at. 5 squirrels were evenly spaced around the base of my ash tree all looking up. They were not moving. They stood this way for several minutes. I couldn’t see what they were staring at so I went outside to look. That startled them and they scampered off. I never found what they were staring at. The dog never chased them as she usually did. I felt like I interrupted something important, but no idea what it was. 

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

I will never be able to explain how Alitalia was able to get my checked bag from the plane I was on to the plane that I was flying to Amsterdam within 10 minutes. Italians have a general attitude of lackadaisical. Whatever happens, it happens. I was flying from Naples to Milan. Connect to a KLM flight to Amsterdam. The flight out of Naples was delayed (reference Italian definition for lackadaisical) We arrive at the gate, I have five minutes to make my connection in Milan. I’ve resigned to waiting hours for another flight. A gate agent comes on the plane and calls my name. He says he is going to get me on my connection. What about my checked bag? We got it he says. I’m not optimistic but he drives me in a cart to my KLM flight. I get there and they’re waiting for the last passenger, me. The door is closed before I’m buckled in and off we go. No way, they got my suitcase. In Amsterdam, I’m reunited with my suitcase. How’d they do that?

By using you as an example of their great customer service and excusing hundreds of others whose luggage missed a connecting flight with a two hour layover.

Lost wedding ring.

I was coming home from a road trip, I had taken off my watch & wedding ring & put them in the change cup on the console. I took them in with me when I got home & put them on the end table. Some time over the weekend, Wo2 picked them up & put them on my dresser in the bed room. Monday AM, when I went to put them on, no wedding band. Not in the carpet. Not anywhere around the end table. Not anywhere near my dresser. Not in the cold air return in the hall.

6 more years in the house & it never turned up.

My UFO's that weren't:

It was nearly morning and I wanted to examine a comet and Mercury in the pre-dawn sky with my 12.5" homemade telescope.

I looked up in the sky to the North and there were 5 glowing objects, moving at terrific speed in a V-formation toward the East.  Clearly, they were moving WAY to fast to be a military plane - many of which cross our skies.

I did my observing until the Sun rose too close to dawn and put my telescope away.

Just before going back in the house, I looked at the sky in the north and once again I saw the 5 V-formation objects, retracing their path to the West.

But it was now early dawn and I could see them clearly.  They were ducks!

If I hadn't looked up in the sky just before going in the house I'd have a great story.

They were glowing because the Sun's rays reached them above the ground even though I was in the dark.  Assuming they were much larger in size and much farther away then they actually were, they appeared to be moving at incredible speed.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

A man once said if you want a good story just ask any random person if there was ever an event in their life they can not explain

FTR, that man was an idiot!

Next thing you know, you're blown five minutes of your busy day discussing a shitty bike, with shitty wheels, that some ass was too lazy to maintain properly.  You've got BETTER things to do with your time (and life)!

I think I've related this before. It's the only absolutely unexplainable thing I knew about first-hand.

My father, Louis, was wounded in January, 1944, as Darby's Rangers raided a behind-the-lines German position north of Anzio, Italy.  It was serious: he lost, in surgery a couple days later, the pinky, ring, and middle fingers of his left hand.  The Army didn't know he was wounded for two days until he finally got back to the American lines after being cared for in field hospitals.

On the day he was wounded, my father's mother got a phone call from her neighbor, Amelia Davis, who was a local celebrity coffee-grounds reader/fortune teller who once read for Eleanor Roosevelt.  Amelia asked, "What happened to Lou?"

When my grandmother replied, "Nothing I've heard of," Amelia said, "I don't want to alarm you, but something serious has happened to Lou and it involves a dead woman."

Amelia Davis's daughter married my father's brother and she became my favorite Aunt. I knew Amelia Davis very well.

We were amazed by some of the stories told about her, but we all knew she got one thing wrong: my father said there were no dead women in the battle.

It was 1964 and there was a Ranger Reunion in Baltimore.  Dad brought his squad leader (Dad became a platoon sergeant after N. Africa), James Altieri - who wrote books and the screenplay for the James Garner movie "Darby's Rangers" - to our house.  Dad told him the story of Amelia Davis knowing he was hurt the day it happened but got that one thing wrong.  Altieri's mouth dropped open, then he said, "Lou, don't you know the name of that little farm village where you were hit?  'Femina Morte.'  It means, 'Dead Woman!'"

I know tons of stories about supernatural abilities of Amelia Davis - some she told me herself and scared the shit out me when I was a kid and then she'd say something like, "That room you're sleeping in tonight is the room my father died in."  But those are second-hand stories.  I personally remember when we believed she got the dead woman wrong.  That's a first-hand story and I can't explain it.

• Heart 3

the current thunderstorm brings back the weirdness of thunderstorms surrounding my younger brother's passing.  Bunches of thunderstorm weirdness.  But just the first:  On vacation, we were out on the lake in the boat, not a large lake, a crazy storm blew up near instantly, couldn't see a thing, so I pulled the throttle back and flashbang, a jolt up my arm touching the throttle.  So I gunned it towards the shore.  Less than a half mile.  It was sunny and dry at the dock,  It was a little after 1.  An hour later, mom called me in the house, my older brother was on the phone.  He was calling to tell me about out little brother's accident.  I asked what time it happened and turned to look at the clock.  "few minutes after 1".  The clock was stopped at 1:05.  The same time as the storm.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

My dog, (the one to the left) had what we called the Chewbacca football.  It was a furry stuffed football, a dog toy.  One day we were playing with it, the next day it was gone.  I can't find that thing anywhere, no remnant of it, nothing.  It's the size of a football, so you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to find.  nope...

Same with a red Kong ball.  It's about the size of a baseball, but I can't find that either.

She's a good dog.

We are missing the red Kong ball too. No one swallowed it. We would know because of the blockage.