OH, so that is how it is supposed to work!

jsharr

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

We sort of inherited, were gifted a nice Honda commercail mower when a neighbor moved and downsized.

It is older and the rear wheels were worn out, so I ordered replacesments, which cost almost $100 for the pair with the drive inserts.

Ryan and I tackled the replacement on Monday.

In the removal process found the axles shafts were a bit corroded and the drive pawl assemblies needed attention.

Took everything apart.  Hit the axles with fine emory cloth and PB blaster.  Came out nice.

Soaked the drive pawls in cleaner degreaser and went after them with emory cloth,  a stiff bristle brush and some shots of PB Blaster.  

When everything was as clean as it was going to get it, greased everything all up and installed the cleaned parts and new wheels.  

Found the left side spun freely but the right side had some binding.  Turns out there were some washers in the wrong place on the right side from the day we got it.

After looking at the left side I installed the parts on the right side in the correct order and both wheels spun freely until the drive was engaged and then both grabbed and drove.

It is amazing how much easier it rolls now.   

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The repair didn't involve duct tape, wire or baling twine.

@jsharr clearly has no idea how to fix agricultural equipment.

45 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t recall WD mentioned either. :scratchhead:

45 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Nor JB Weld

I did use both cussive and percussive maintenance on the damn thing.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

We sort of inherited, were gifted a nice Honda commercail mower when a neighbor moved and downsized.

It is older and the rear wheels were worn out, so I ordered replacesments, which cost almost $100 for the pair with the drive inserts.

Ryan and I tackled the replacement on Monday.

In the removal process found the axles shafts were a bit corroded and the drive pawl assemblies needed attention.

Took everything apart.  Hit the axles with fine emory cloth and PB blaster.  Came out nice.

Soaked the drive pawls in cleaner degreaser and went after them with emory cloth,  a stiff bristle brush and some shots of PB Blaster.  

When everything was as clean as it was going to get it, greased everything all up and installed the cleaned parts and new wheels.  

Found the left side spun freely but the right side had some binding.  Turns out there were some washers in the wrong place on the right side from the day we got it.

After looking at the left side I installed the parts on the right side in the correct order and both wheels spun freely until the drive was engaged and then both grabbed and drove.

It is amazing how much easier it rolls now.   

It's great when you know what you're doing!

My brother-in-law Brian runs a part-time small engine repair business and sales out of his back yard.  He goes to Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc. looking for "as is" stuff that often sells for $25 - $50.  In many cases, the buyers assembled it wrong, took it back saying it didn't work, the workers at the store didn't know any better so they set it out for "as is" sale! Brian just reassembles it correctly and sells it for $200 (new at the store is $350).  In other cases, one small part was destroyed in a fairly new lawnmower, snow blower, tiller, etc. that seized because of no oil added or some other stupid thing and Brian will ID what he needs before buying it "as is," then look on eBay, etc. and often the $75-new part can be had for $15 or so.  Then he sells them for $150 - $350, depending on how much of a deal he needs to give.