dreams do come true

jsharr

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That falls into the 'wishes' category and you apparently have already used up your allotted 3 wishes.

...or Aire doesn't understand the progression of time!  Dreams come true, but not necessarily IMMEDIATELY!  Darn Millennials and their need for instant gratification!

• Heart 1

I had dreams of travel, education, and "livin' off the fat o' the land" and not worrying about money in retirement that I thought were far-fetched when I was younger. They came through

When I was a young teenager, we would get postcards from my aunt in the Women's Army Corp, stationed in Germany and traveling throughout Europe, Egypt, Holy Land, etc.  I thought how wonderful that was and something I wasn't likely to do.

I watched movies like Tammy about people going to college and living on campus and was sure I'd never be able to do that - I studied mechanical drawing because I thought my best job path after high school was going to be as a draftsman, doing blue prints, etc.  A friend in the same academic classes I was in asked, "What the hell are we doing here? We'll never be able to go to college."

My high school football coach opened my eyes about the possibilities of working my way through college - we basically had one awful guidance counselor - and a couple years later I was commuting to UMBC and several years later I got a scholarship and teaching assistantship to grad. school at IIT, lived on campus and joined a fraternity.

At college, I watch the rich kids who majored in Art, Creative Writing, Acting, etc. - careers that would not reliably pay the mortgage but they didn't have to worry about that.  I was envious: I didn't hate them for their good fortune, I wanted to be like them! When I realized I wasn't likely to become filthy rich, I decided I'd settle for retiring comfortably well-off enough that I'd be able to travel, spend money on hobbies that required money - like money for a bicycle and piano - etc. without it becoming a financial adventure.

I didn't to much traveling until my 40's, but then I made up for lost time, visiting some European Countries as well as Turkey, Israel, Egypt, China, Caribbean, Alaska Cruise, and a few more.

If I decide I want to do something reasonable in costs, I'm not rich but have to funds to do it without worry  - I'm going to resume music lessons at Peabody/Johns Hopkins U when this pandemic is over and I'm going to take some college courses in creative writing.  I haven't written a good short story, novelette or novel and that's something I intend to do.

So far, so good.

• Awesome 1