well that was fun

12string

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

a line of fierce thunderstorms. the dog kicked me out of my desk so she could hide under t, so I'm stuck working from the recliner for a bit

I spent 3am-5:30am in one or the other of our interior bathrooms keeping my dog company during last night's thunderstorms.  My wife took over the 5:30 shift until it finally left the area.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I spent 3am-5:30am in one or the other of our interior bathrooms keeping my dog company during last night's thunderstorms. 

17 hours ago, 12string said:

the dog kicked me out of my desk so she could hide under t,

Have either of you tried this stuff? It's a pheromone, not drugs*. They gave us a bandana sprayed with the stuff, once when we were at the vets. Gus calmed right down. Other times, it doesn't seem to work, but it might be worth a shot.

*Had a dog who was terrified of thunder/fireworks. Gave her Doggie Downers once and all it did was made her a drooling zombie. Never did that again.

21 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Have either of you tried this stuff? It's a pheromone, not drugs*. They gave us a bandana sprayed with the stuff, once when we were at the vets. Gus calmed right down. Other times, it doesn't seem to work, but it might be worth a shot.

*Had a dog who was terrified of thunder/fireworks. Gave her Doggie Downers once and all it did was made her a drooling zombie. Never did that again.

My Mom gave her poodle doggie downers once when we came to visit when my kids were young. The dog would tremble in fear. What the doggie downers did was to cause Dusty to lose all inhibitions. Much hilarity ensused including crapping and peeing all over the place. 

4 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

We have.  Nothing. Sedatives, thousands at special behavioral vets, etc. didn't work.  Simply patience and as secluded space in the house as possible is about it. :(

She has a thunder jacket, that works for less violent storms.  And we don't give her special attention, go about business as usual.  But when the storms are that bad, none of that works.

The other day, she was in the basement, at the bottom of the steps.  A bolt hit real close, she ran for another spot.  Took us 45 minutes to find her.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

She has a thunder jacket, that works for less violent storms.  And we don't give her special attention, go about business as usual.  But when the storms are that bad, none of that works.

The other day, she was in the basement, at the bottom of the steps.  A bolt hit real close, she ran for another spot.  Took us 45 minutes to find her.

She has a thunder coat, too!  We just use it for her as a "regular" coat since while she likes it, but it never really "comforts" her.  It is a nice coat for light use.  On super cold days, it is a good "under-coat" under her fleece coat.

But once the big booms and lightning starts, she is in pure reptile brain. 

Rudy hears thunder and he thinks it's visitors.  So we end up with a constantly barking dog in the middle of the storm.  We have yet to hear a storm that can come close to making as much noise as the Rudester.  That boy's bark can split your ears.