Medium shrimp

Airehead

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

Sounds good to me, but if you’re shelling them, that’s a lot. 

I am going to make the tortillas and homemade crema, avocado salsa.  , etc...  I don’t mine  shelling a few shrimp.   I am only going to make these once in a life time. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I generally don’t eat shrimp at home because they have a negative effect on WoW. I love them, though. 
We made pulled pork tacos tonight with the pork shoulder I smoked over the weekend. A dab of sour cream on the corn tortilla, a little sriracha, pork reheated in the skillet with a little corn from some corn on the cob. Cabbage, cilantro, squeeze a lime.  Yumm!!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I love buying shrimp right off the boat, the size varies, but some are maybe 8 inches long, and all of them are better than you find in the freezer

And when you can't understand the guy doing the selling, but you still manage to make the deal, and everybody leaves smiling, and the meal is so good you talk about it years later....that's why we go to the beach.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, groupw said:

We made pulled pork tacos tonight with the pork shoulder I smoked over the weekend

I have some I froze last time I did a half shoulder. Gonna make PP nachos tomorrow, I think.

Never happy with pulled pork after it's been frozen - and even a half shoulder is too much for two. Got any hints?

9 minutes ago, groupw said:

WoW breaks it down to meal sized servings before she freezes it so it doesn’t go through multiple freeze/thaw cycles.

Yeah, I do too, but it gets.....mushy?... even after one freeze/thaw. Nowhere near as good as fresh. 

Doesn't seem to matter if it's sauced/unsauced, either.

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

How’d they turn out?  Too late now but I like to use Jumbo shrimp and put 3 to a taco. That way you get a full shrimp with each bite & they don’t fall out of the taco. 

I am going to make them for Saturday which is why I was asking what size shrimp to buy

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah, I do too, but it gets.....mushy?... even after one freeze/thaw. Nowhere near as good as fresh. 

Doesn't seem to matter if it's sauced/unsauced, either.

Hmmm...We haven't run into that issue. I generally cook it to 195ish degrees. Seems to retain texture. 

17 hours ago, Airehead said:

How many in a pound?

I would guess, at least in Maryland, the medium are the 26-30 or 28-35 count shrimp.

I googled and got what, for my area, is a chart with ridiculously small-sizes:

Shrimp Sizing Chart
Common Sizing Term (Varies) Shrimp Count Per Pound Approx. Count Per 3 oz Serving
Extra Large 26/30 6-7 shrimp
Large 31/35 8-9 shrimp
Medium Large 36/40 9-10 shrimp
Medium 41/50 10-12 shrimp

Sometimes, when attempting some Chinese or pasta dish with shrimp, I'll get the little ones, already peeled, that I think go down to 45/lb.

I usually buy the 21-25 count and I think they're a little bigger than normal.  I got the 16-20 ct. shrimp in the pic below and the worker asked if I was going to eat or freeze them. I said freeze and he got a frozen, 2 lb bag from the back rather than have me refreeze what they had thawed.

Here's a blowup of the March 26th picture I took of the supermarket near my apartment that is always bountiful with seafood and meat. The EZ PEEL shrimp have the middle of the top side of the shell already sliced with the vein removed:

image.thumb.png.3a6e58ce5afa2b7633423072f8b596c4.png

20200326_152824.jpg.69ed1347e053e5c51acf7806a18a09ba.jpg

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Tacos that smell like death are always off-putting.

When I lived in San Diego, there was a always a guy outside a restaurant twirling a sign that said "KILLER FISH TACOS".  There are a lot of ways to interpret that.

You could serve this with them:

a3cbd9c6-b16e-4d84-bc33-f7cc95f7c746.0aa7bfc0c2b739b392ed25783588423f.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Tacos that smell like death are always off-putting.

When I lived in San Diego, there was a always a guy outside a restaurant twirling a sign that said "KILLER FISH TACOS".  There are a lot of ways to interpret that.

Fish taco’s are a Baja Mexico & SoCal thing.  Been around for ages but the sound of them gives a lot of people the heebie jeebies.  My MIL wouldn’t touch them.  You like tacos right? Yes. You like fish both fried and or broiled right. Yes.  So try the fish in a taco.  NO! 

29 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Tacos are cancelled I think.  Lindy is really sick.  I am no longer motivated to cook.  I do think they will let us bring him home from vet tonight and monitor at home.  Maybe he will make a splashy recovery

Oh nooooooos.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Tacos are cancelled I think.  Lindy is really sick.  I am no longer motivated to cook.  I do think they will let us bring him home from vet tonight and monitor at home.  Maybe he will make a splashy recovery

I'm sorry to hear. Feel better, Lindy.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

I'm sorry to hear. Feel better, Lindy.

He is home but not really well. Hopefully some more test results for his resting cortisol level are back tomorrow. Our goal for tonight is good rest and prevent dehydration. 

38DFEF13-BC42-4184-AE34-641F306257E6.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 2