Slight gobbledygook

shootingstar

So today's group email highlighted the background of our new boss-to-be. Starting on job in 2 wks.

First we heard it verbally, then it was just as equally jumbly confusing in email:  She is coming from private sector (which 60% of us, did anyway. We're not naive.), but her public sector job experience, made no sense in the announcement. No organizations highlighted, just professional/voluntary organizations, ie ISO....which are not paid roles.  If I hear another ISO standard for our industry area, I wince.  It's not cited any Canadian legislation (which gives a standard, regulatory compliance teeth) and some of the stuff it's so obvious the industry didn't need an ISO standard.

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

the industry didn't need an ISO standard.

....wait, aren't you in education? 

They do ISO nonsense for that, too?

I had to deal with that in my previous job. Good, sound, basic concepts.....drowned in acronyms, buzzwords and pointless drivel.

• Awesome 1

33 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I had to deal with that in my previous job. Good, sound, basic concepts.....drowned in acronyms, buzzwords and pointless drivel.

So.......a lot like here 

50 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

That's what I thought.

Like you I dealt/deal with it. In 1997 or 8 the company became QS-9000, then we transitioned to TS-16949 but eventually just became ISO. These standards have good in a lot of ways, but its a lot of documentation and evidence. No way a company can be 100% compliant all the time, unless you have 10 people doing every job. We're design responsible so the only time I'm involved in audits is for the design portion. Sometimes for APQP.

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

That's what I thought.

Like you I dealt/deal with it. In 1997 or 8 the company became QS-9000, then we transitioned to TS-16949 but eventually just became ISO. These standards have good in a lot of ways, but its a lot of documentation and evidence. No way a company can be 100% compliant all the time, unless you have 10 people doing every job. We're design responsible so the only time I'm involved in audits is for the design portion. Sometimes for APQP.

SOOOOO if ISO is such a great thing how come the International Organization for Standards calls themselves ISO instead of IOS?

They can even get themselves right.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Pointless drivel is our specialty!  Are we ISO certified?

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

International Organization for Standards

HOLY SCHNIZZLE!  FTR, and I didn't realize this, it is "International Organization for Standardization", but not only that, enough folks are irritated by the "ISO" usage that Wiki devotes a section to it!

Name and abbreviations

The name of the organization in French is Organisation internationale de normalisation, and in Russian, Международная организация по стандартизации (Mezhdunarodnaya organizatsiya po standartizatsii). ISO is not an acronym. ISO gives this explanation of the name: "Because 'International Organization for Standardization' would have different acronyms in different languages (IOS in English, OIN in French), our founders decided to give it the short form ISO. ISO is derived from the Greek word isos (ίσος, meaning "equal"). Whatever the country, whatever the language, the short form of our name is always ISO."[6] During the founding meetings of the new organization, the Greek word explanation was not invoked, so this meaning may have been made public later, making it a backronym.[7]

Both the name ISO and the ISO logo are registered trademarks and their use is restricted.[8]

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

During the founding meetings of the new organization, the Greek word explanation was not invoked, so this meaning may have been made public later, making it a backronym.[7]

Just more gobbledygook.  Even their explanation of the mistake they made with their acronym is a mistake.  And then they take that mistake and register it as a trademark.  Add industries across the globe scramble to meet their standards.  What a joke. 

And all this talk about French and Russian and Greek... The organization is based in London.

Gobbledygook I tell you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Just more gobbledygook.  Even their explanation of the mistake they made with their acronym is a mistake.  And then they take that mistake and register it as a trademark.  Add industries across the globe scramble to meet their standards.  What a joke. 

And all this talk about French and Russian and Greek... The organization is based in London.

Gobbledygook I tell you.

But "backronym" is new to you, eh????

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

These standards have good in a lot of ways, but its a lot of documentation and evidence

Almost like someone said "Let's create a standard so we can charge people to certify them!"

We used to get coached before an audit.:rolleyes: Our ISO slogan was "Do what we say,, say what we do".:rolleyes:

The guy doing the practice audit asked one of the guys what the ISO slogan was and he said "Do what we want, tell them what they want to hear". :D:D

"OMG, NO!"

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

No I work in govn't at this time. I've never worked in education.

In my line of work, I've see certain ISO standards that's supposed to be relevant for our work/services.  Then I look at the list of people involved in striking /revising those standards..sometimes it's a few academics.  People who are not involved in executing front-line services and managing operations with a budget.  It's just another way to "boost" their resume/CV for volunteer work-related purposes. Nothing wrong with that but puzzling why hiring managers chose to hlighlight her organizational involvement as "public sector" jobs.

If I mention an ISO standard to any client dept., I might get the door slammed in my face...for being irrelevant to their business needs.  The ISO may have some good principles but most operational senior managers want demonstrated proof of a solution that meets CAnadian legislation, CAnadian national standards as priority and a solution that is efficient / improvement for their operations.  The strongest teeth of any standard, that it is directly referenced in legislation itself to obtain technical compliance.  Common practice for engineering/technical legislation: ie. building and fire codes, etc.