Today's Historical Tidbit 8/13

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Just now, Randomguy said:

Oneida is one disorderly  town!

Oneida had three railroads and two or three train stations.

I don't know that they were all contemporaneous or if some were different iterations of the same ho-house, but I have at least nine names.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I just looked, there was a doll museum in Canastota in 2011, supposedly.   I didn't go.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I seem to remember something about that. SO has an interest in Victorian dolls and I think she was looking into it.

Must have been pretty impressive, if that's all I can remember,

It was right here, where the For Rent sign is:

image.thumb.png.a2ac8d5925126df4b63be84b0af83c71.png

High bar rates do not necessarily mean high crime, lots of fights, etc.

Curtis Bay, at the southern tip of Baltimore, was once a blue-collar, mostly low-cost row-houses community of around 10,000 with a high Polish, Russian, German, concentration.  On the two streets closest to the waterfront, there was a bar on almost every corner plus private clubs like the Polish Hall.

In my late 20's and early 30's, I played for a men's softball team sponsored by one of those bars - which was owned by a guy I went to high school with.

Despite all those bars, it was an extremely low-crime area with mostly homeowners who kept their small plots looking good.  There wasn't a murder there from the 1800's to the 1980's.

Then, the children of those blue-collar homeowners grew up, decided to buy nicer homes in the suburbs, and many of the homes in Curtis Bay were then rented out.  That brought in a new wave of lower-income, higher crime-rate people and now the area is one you don't want to walk through at night.

• Sad 1