Coasting is da best

Dirtyhip

I prefer riding to coasting, but I do get to do some coasting on a super long long descent.  I find tucked and aero coasting definitely starts to make sense once you hit 40mph.  No chance I'm doing a supertuck with pedaling, but that would probably be fun too. 

11 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Haven't EBikes rendered Strava completely irrelevant yet?

You'd think so, but folks are inherently honest, eh?

But she is talking downhill segments.  I think some folks add weight for those, so a motor might help but only for the extra weight of the motor and battery.

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I lost any vestige of that belief when I read about a guy who got busted for doping, in a regional Master's category race.

Folks cheat in peewee football and t-ball. WTF would that change by the time it hits masters????  There's a reason there are refs and umps and all sorts of layers of rules :)

But, yeah, you can't trust those downhillers as far as you can throw them!

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You'd think so, but folks are inherently honest, eh?

But she is talking downhill segments riding our area and getting lots of uphill crowns and one DH crown.  I think some folks add weight for those, so a motor might help but only for the extra weight of the motor and battery.

You do not get notifications when a DH record is smashed, only climbs.  You do have records of those, as people create DH segments.  

I know people do not care here about downhill racing and riding.  It is kinda my thing for the last decade or so. 

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

You do not get notifications when a DH record is smashed, only climbs.  You do have records of those, as people create DH segments.  

I know people do not care here about downhill racing and riding.  It is kinda my thing for the last decade or so. 

Wow - I didn't realize Strava made a distinction in segments for notifications. I wonder what triggers a notification.

And put me in the "I care" column!  I love all racing and riding.  Some is fun to poke fun at, but that doesn't mean we don't like it - doing it, watching it, or hearing your stories :D

• Awesome 1

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ski lifts or, in a pinch, her fancy pick-up truck!

At times.  Mostly, i earn my coasting.  

I have not had a shuttle day since last year.  :(

Covid sucks.  It messes up our plans for everything.  No Northstar.  No Downieville.  Oakridge has not even been visited this year.  <crying>

55 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I follow it to an extent. I have no desire to do what you guys do but can appreciate the skill it takes and although I don’t want one I think DH bikes are rad.  

I never gave your type of riding much thought until I stood hillside in Whistler and watched them getting practice runs in for 'Crankworks' one year.  It is pretty amazing and I thought looked like a lot of fun

But I then realized that I have a job I need to be healthy for, and tend to have courage up to here (hand held palm down, parallel to the floor at forehead height) and skill level of here (hand lowers to knee height) so thought I had better stick to the pavement for my own well being.

For meatheads like me, recognizing my own limitations has probably kept me alive.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I never gave your type of riding much thought until I stood hillside in Whistler and watched them getting practice runs in for 'Crankworks' one year.  It is pretty amazing and I thought looked like a lot of fun

But I then realized that I have a job I need to be healthy for, and tend to have courage up to here (hand held palm down, parallel to the floor at forehead height) and skill level of here (hand lowers to knee height) so thought I had better stick to the pavement for my own well being.

For meatheads like me, recognizing my own limitations has probably kept me alive.

That's what the green diamond runs are for.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

But I care  about you and want to hear about your riding and the things that get you excited.   They don't make many gravel trikes, but I love your enthusiasm and enjoy your stories. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Wow - I didn't realize Strava made a distinction in segments for notifications. I wonder what triggers a notification.

A few years back Strava took a lot of heat from the media when some guy lost his downhill KOM and determined to get it back offed himself into a stone wall. The media blamed Strava so they quit reporting the downhill segments the way they do flat or uphill segments. 
it does make some sense because anyone that wants to try for a KOM on a downhill can just stay off their brakes and hope for the best. If you have to earn your speed you will develop the skills to go with it as you get faster.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

A few years back Strava took a lot of heat from the media when some guy lost his downhill KOM and determined to get it back offed himself into a stone wall. The media blamed Strava so they quit reporting the downhill segments the way they do flat or uphill segments. 
it does make some sense because anyone that wants to try for a KOM on a downhill can just stay off their brakes and hope for the best. If you have to earn your speed you will develop the skills to go with it as you get faster.

The was also a guy in San Fran maybe, that was trying to recover his downhill KOM when he hit and killed a pedestrian in a crosswalk.  Strava was named in the lawsuit.Bicycling magazine did a story on it

On a loop course, I'd rather go in the direction where there's more coasting over the last part of the course.  The BWI Airport Bike Trail is a very hilly, 10.6 mile loop.  If you go counterclockwise as seen from overhead, you do a lot of uphill pedaling until you hit the high point at 4.5 miles.  You then have 6.1 miles of mostly gentle uphills and lots of downhills.  Sometimes, I'll have enough energy left after the the long downhills to also ride the connecting trail to the Baltimore and Annapolis Bike Trail and then do a little of that out-and-back.

I you go clockwise, you go mostly uphill for 6.1 miles, then 4.5 of steeper downhills than if you went the opposite way. I find it to be more tiring but a lot of cyclists like that way.

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Are you going to reach out to her and see if she wants to go for a ride?

Do lots of pros ride in your area?

Is there enough room on your land to build a place to rent to them to sleep and work on their rigs?

I wanted to meet her.  She broke her bike.  

Yes, we get a few.  Our area is growing in popularity.  New trails, big mountains.

Kinda, yes.  Depends on who wants to know.  

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes, we get a few.  Our area is growing in popularity.  New trails, big mountains.

I was thinking of building that would have a bunk room, a common room and a workshop for bikes.  You could use it for guests or rent it out to produce income.  

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Uh, pros have a crew that would swap the bike out immediately.

She's no pro!

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Uh, pros have a crew that would swap the bike out immediately.

She's no pro!

I would think that DH would loan her one from the stable.  When Lance came to ride with us 4 years ago he needed a bike.  Our dear leader put a call out for someone to loan a 56cm bike for the evening.  I don't think the loaner has ridden that bike since.

If DH wanted to make it happen, she could.

43 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I bet a crank just came loose and she does not know about self extracting crank bolts.....

33 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I was thinking of building that would have a bunk room, a common room and a workshop for bikes.  You could use it for guests or rent it out to produce income.  

If one could make it work, I think a "bike barn"  or "bike chalet" can be a great idea in a nice biking location.  Europe (Italy or France) have many bike hotels, and there is little reason to suspect the US - in places like Colorado - or CAnada - in places like Whistler - can't support it and probably already have it.

I think a sweet layout would be like a long "barn" with the kitchen and hang out area plus the bike work shop on the bottom and a few rooms along the top level.

How cool would that be - getting a room with like minded folks and heading out to local trails with a local guide and then coming home and relaxing and chowing down on local sourced tasty food.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If one could make it work, I think a "bike barn"  or "bike chalet" can be a great idea in a nice biking location.  Europe (Italy or France) have many bike hotels, and there is little reason to suspect the US - in places like Colorado - or CAnada - in places like Whistler - can't support it and probably already have it.

I think a sweet layout would be like a long "barn" with the kitchen and hang out area plus the bike work shop on the bottom and a few rooms along the top level.

How cool would that be - getting a room with like minded folks and heading out to local trails with a local guide and then coming home and relaxing and chowing down on local sourced tasty food.

surrounded by slowly rotting banana peels.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I would think that DH would loan her one from the stable.  When Lance came to ride with us 4 years ago he needed a bike.  Our dear leader put a call out for someone to loan a 56cm bike for the evening.  I don't think the loaner has ridden that bike since.

If DH wanted to make it happen, she could.

Not my job.