Dry Ice Dry Ice Baby

bikeman564™

10 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Multiple bonus points for the post title

Some of the idiots I used to work with took liquid nitrogen in a 3 liter soda bottle and chucked it in the furnace....

I worked at a manufacturing plant that used liquid nitrogen on occasion.  I saw a guy dip a plastic rat in it and then whack it on a table to shatter it.   That was pretty cool.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I worked at a manufacturing plant that used liquid nitrogen on occasion.

We have tanks of it here, in the hall.

Apparently they self-purge to regulate pressure or temp (or both). The first time I walked by and one was hissing, I greatly quickened my pace. My boss assured me this was normal.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

We have tanks of it here, in the hall.

Apparently they self-purge to regulate pressure or temp (or both). The first time I walked by and one was hissing, I greatly quickened my pace. My boss assured me this was normal.

I didn’t know enough of what did what but I recall the tanks hissing too!  On rainy days air would bubble up from the cracks in the concrete from the underground compressor lines.  That was odd... I worked security there, monitored cameras, phones & alarms on graveyards while I went to school. Awesome college job.

The entire property was sold, bulldozed and turned into high end homes...  It was built in the 1950’s when it was surrounded by nothingness.  It’s a high rent area now...

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I was hoping for a better description of the events.

Explosion of a Soda Bottle

A 2-liter soda bottle is tightly capped off with about a pint of liquid nitrogen in it. Then it is placed on the ground with a 50 gallon plastic, not metal, garbage can inverted over it. It takes a few minutes before the bottle explodes and projects the garbage can 10 to 20 meters into the air.

....except the "few minute" interval was actually a few seconds and the expansion multiplied

• Awesome 1

33 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I worked at a manufacturing plant that used liquid nitrogen on occasion.  I saw a guy dip a plastic rat in it and then whack it on a table to shatter it.   That was pretty cool.

That works just as well with a real rat.

We had a refrigerated tanker of liquid nitrogen parked next to one of our buildings. They had tried using it to prevent scale buildup inside the induction furnace. It didn’t work as planned and they got rid of the equipment used with the nitrogen. The tanker set outside for months and  we could hear it gassing off from time to time. One day one of our safety men stepped outside to take a leak and was standing right behind the tanker when it gassed off. That’s when he noticed the sign on the back of the tanker “caution, may cause death without warning”. The tanker was gone when I came into work the next day.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Some of the idiots I used to work with took liquid nitrogen in a 3 liter soda bottle and chucked it in the furnace....

One of our world class idiots heard about blowing up a baggy full of acetylene.

He filled a garbage bag and lit it with a match. The explosion rattled the rafters and created a hell of a dust cloud, his hair was frizzed and his ears rang for a while,  but he was not seriously injured 

The company fired him for sabotage, the union got his job back by claiming he meant no harm, but was an idiot 

If he had known to mix the acetylene with oxygen the building would probably have been leveled, and he would have been killed 

• Awesome 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

For Halloween I would have a glass of water with dry ice cubes in it. I'd drink it while giving out candy.

For Halloween, I'll drop some dry ice into red wine.  It looks cooler than dry ice in water. 

33 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I swallowed a piece of dry ice in High School chemistry class.  I ended up burping and farting.  A lot.

Odd chemistry experiment for High School. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I used to demonstrations for students where I'd pass a few de-thorned roses around the room, then dip them in liquid nitrogen, drop them on the desk, and they'd shatter like fine china.  I used to use ice water baths with dry ice and acetone to trap stuff during certain types of distillations.

I was always very careful with either one.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I used to demonstrations for students where I'd pass a few de-thorned roses around the room, then dip them in liquid nitrogen, drop them on the desk, and they'd shatter like fine china.  I used to use ice water baths with dry ice and acetone to trap stuff during certain types of distillations.

I was always very careful with either one.

I would have left the thorns on