What lube do you use?

Randomguy

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

It' snot the rain that is so bad, it is the _)()*%$# grit!  I guess the rain is also bad for bearings and shit, so I also just say no.

White Lightning for me too.

True, it's the dirt that sticks to everything.

I've used white lighting also years ago...nice.

26 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Oh...

I use this on the bike. Dry lube is great you see. Goes on wet, do nothing, then it dries. Doesn't attract dirt. But if you ride in wet weather, then a wet lube is better I think. I'm a pu55y, I don't like rain.

1610778383_IMG_20200813_2127414761.thumb.jpg.08e5e7d0ea519f2b6ee491a6722c6b46.jpg

This on some bikes such as my kids or neighbors. Good stuff.

On most of my bike chains I go old school with melted paraffin wax. I wipe the chain down and remove it from the bike with a quick link. I then place it into a crock pot of melted wax with some added ultrafine graphite powder. I connect the chain to a wire first.  After a while I pull the chain out by the wire and hang it up to dry for a while before installing it back on the bike.

Sounds complicated and time consuming but it isn't. The chain is very stiff for about a mile but then smooths out. The lube lasts about 400 miles and according to tests uses less watts and handles dirt and water much better than almost all other lubes. You can tell when it needs relubing as the chain suddenly gets noisy.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Sunscreen, Chain Lube, etc. isn't right for us lazy people unless you can spray it.  This works great but stinks a little for a day or two after applying it if you keep your bike inside a closed-in porch, etc.

image.png.8b3467eeaa8c68daab926a85a3ed9c48.png

Carole King wrote this originally for the Cookies, for whom it was their big hit:

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Like the Texican, I use Rock n Roll Gold. Also don’t put beans in mah chili. 

Same for me.  Every 100 miles or so I squirt it on as I spin the chain a revolution, spin it a few times to let it work in, and the use a rag to wipe off excess.  It's a quick and easy process with stellar results.

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

This on some bikes such as my kids or neighbors. Good stuff.

On most of my bike chains I go old school with melted paraffin wax. I wipe the chain down and remove it from the bike with a quick link. I then place it into a crock pot of melted wax with some added ultrafine graphite powder. I connect the chain to a wire first.  After a while I pull the chain out by the wire and hang it up to dry for a while before installing it back on the bike.

Sounds complicated and time consuming but it isn't. The chain is very stiff for about a mile but then smooths out. The lube lasts about 400 miles and according to tests uses less watts and handles dirt and water much better than almost all other lubes. You can tell when it needs relubing as the chain suddenly gets noisy.

Do you add beans to your wax?