Roofs and chimneys

Parr8hed

Three people - @Dottles, @Square Wheels, and Parr8 - and three different paths taken.  Heck, add in @MickinMD (burn the whole place down and start fresh) and you have another path.

I wonder if @Dirtyhip has a fireplace and chimney in her new house plans.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

tearing out the wall in the middle of the house where it was,

Better hope that wall isn't a load bearing wall.   And then of course.... all of the other things that could be in the wall pipe vents, water pipes, wires.... 

It can be done, but it will most likely cost a bit more than you expect.  Good luck... 

I had a leaking wood chimney once.   I patched it (think external flashing) with some kind of black tar and fiber material.  It stopped leaking.  I painted the exterior of the home, that helped make the chimney look better.   (yeah a hillbilly repair but it worked)

A few years later, we sold the home.   No chimney in our new home.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

So you are spending more money to save some money?

I am spending money to open up our house's main living area and get rid of a faarplace that we don't use.  So much wasted space.  

13 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Better hope that wall isn't a load bearing wall.   And then of course.... all of the other things that could be in the wall pipe vents, water pipes, wires.... 

It can be done, but it will most likely cost a bit more than you expect.  Good luck... 

I had a leaking wood chimney once.   I patched it (think external flashing) with some kind of black tar and fiber material.  It stopped leaking.  I painted the exterior of the home, that helped make the chimney look better.   (yeah a hillbilly repair but it worked)

A few years later, we sold the home.   No chimney in our new home.

We've had a couple of cats look at it.  Fairly certain it is not.  

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Three people - @Dottles, @Square Wheels, and Parr8 - and three different paths taken.  Heck, add in @MickinMD (burn the whole place down and start fresh) and you have another path.

I wonder if @Dirtyhip has a fireplace and chimney in her new house plans.

Well, I have a small deposit on a place that does not have a chimney and if we exercise it, I may regret it.  It does not have a chimney and I'm both excited about that and disappointed.  There is no better heat than wood in my opinion -- whether you get that from a traditional wood fireplace or pellets.  It's a much fuller heat for sure and has a lower frequency that permeates your bones.  That's a fact but don't ask me to dig up the link because I got stuff I gotsta do.  But the downside of wood fuel is stoves stay hungry and you have to constantly feed them.  They're also messy which can be a drag.  But they are quite a bit cheaper and they produce A+ heat.

• Awesome 1

40 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well, I have a small deposit on a place that does not have a chimney and if we exercise it, I may regret it.  It does not have a chimney and I'm both excited about that and disappointed.  There is no better heat than wood in my opinion -- whether you get that from a traditional wood fireplace or pellets.  It's a much fuller heat for sure and has a lower frequency that permeates your bones.  That's a fact but don't ask me to dig up the link because I got stuff I gotsta do.  But the downside of wood fuel is stoves stay hungry and you have to constantly feed them.  They're also messy which can be a drag.  But they are quite a bit cheaper and they produce A+ heat.

If I had an actual insert that would heat the house that would be one thing.  But I don't.  We checked into that.  10G is what it would cost because of the height of my ceiling.  My flu is cheap.  My faarplace is for little more than "prettyness".  The wall splits up the center of what is the dining room and living room.  I would love to have all that space.  

43 minutes ago, Dottles said:

This is it

11EEAF6C-B8D3-424D-B567-12240D7886B9.thumb.jpeg.486eeebbcdb8c1b514f01af60aaea51e.jpeg

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's a much fuller heat for sure and has a lower frequency that permeates your bones.  That's a fact but don't ask me to dig up the link because I got stuff I gotsta do.  But the downside of wood fuel is stoves stay hungry and you have to constantly feed them. They're also messy which can be a drag.

I'll take your word for it!  There is likely no other reason folks would waste so much time and energy on something as simple as heating their home if it wasn't for the A+ heat!

I mean, I've settled for regular grade A heat most of my adult life, but then, on the downside, I did almost get a blister when I went to adjust the thermostat to quickly.  Luckily, my newer programmable digital thermostat makes that sort of blister very unlikely in the future.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'll take your word for it!  There is likely no other reason folks would waste so much time and energy on something as simple as heating their home if it wasn't for the A+ heat!

I mean, I've settled for regular grade A heat most of my adult life, but then, on the downside, I did almost get a blister when I went to adjust the thermostat to quickly.  Luckily, my newer programmable digital thermostat makes that sort of blister very unlikely in the future.

Your missing out on the 'cheaper' part.  I mean vastly cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You definitely don't know my hourly rate, do you?

I definitely do not.  Are you one of those guys that have massive sex in a tube that converts your kinetic energy into potential energy?  I'd say it could be better than solar but you'd have to eat a lot of food to make it happen.  And both you and your wife would have to be willing participants.  Well, I guess you just need any willing participants.

Duude, do you own a sex cocoon? 

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I definitely do not.  Are you one of those guys that have massive sex in a tube that converts your kinetic energy into potential energy?  I'd say it could be better than solar but you'd have to eat a lot of food to make it happen.  And both you and your wife would have to be willing participants.  Well, I guess you just need any willing participants.

Duude, do you own a sex cocoon? 

Seriously, though, my gas bill for heating, is like $100 a year.  It isn't expensive to heat with gas.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seriously, though, my gas bill for heating, is like $100 a year.  It isn't expensive to heat with gas.

If I could get natural gas -- I would.  The city of Bellingham wanted to pass a bill to have everyone in their city limits to convert from natural gas and oil to all green technology.  I would have solar but I'm skeptical of what our heating bills may be.  Nothing cheaper than natural gas.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

What is?  It is clean, for sure.  It also, oddly, didn't require its own storage facility to be built in my yard!

It's still not clean you asshat.

"Natural gas is a fossil fuel, though the global warming emissions from its combustion are much lower than those from coal or oil. Natural gas emits 50 to 60 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) when combusted in a new, efficient natural gas power plant compared with emissions from a typical new coal plant."

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

It's still not clean you asshat.

"Natural gas is a fossil fuel, though the global warming emissions from its combustion are much lower than those from coal or oil. Natural gas emits 50 to 60 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) when combusted in a new, efficient natural gas power plant compared with emissions from a typical new coal plant."

Put another way, moran, I have never gotten my hands dirty working with it! No splinters. No soot. No sweeping or vacuuming or toting or shoveling or chopping or pretty much anything!

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Put another way, moran, I have never gotten my hands dirty working with it! No splinters. No soot. No sweeping or vacuuming or toting or shoveling or chopping or pretty much anything!

That's what I thought.  Soft, white hands who claims to be a Liberal but doesn't practice what he preaches (peaches?).

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

That's what I thought.  Soft, white hands who claims to be a Liberal but doesn't practice what he preaches (peaches?).

I told you! I almost got a blister once!!! WTF are you missing???

I do look forward to hearing about your all electric heating.  I think my FiL in San Diego can heat his home with electric, but not sure how it will work for you.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I told you! I almost got a blister once!!! WTF are you missing???

I do look forward to hearing about your all electric heating.  I think my FiL in San Diego can heat his home with electric, but not sure how it will work for you.

I think I'm locked into it too.  It has a heat pump and a solar grid.  But we both know that electric bill in January is still going to hurt.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

He could be having touch football games in there.  But his golf shots just got a lot more easier.

Heck, stripper pole and raised stage was what I was envisioning.  The pole could do double duty and support that roof.  God knows it would have to be a super sturdy pole to support Parr8 spinning on it!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

Wood burns dirty.  Some days there is a noxious haze over northern New England that is the result of wood burning.

• 4 weeks later...