Rick Steves > Joseph Rosendo > Darley Newman

Mr. Silly

3 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

You'd be hard pressed to convince me otherwise.

I generally agree, BUT, Rick needs to step up his game and pick some South American or Asian or Australian or African locations.

Back in the "old days", the few times I spoke to him, he was very nice and approachable.   He's practically in @Dottles backyard, so I wonder if they hang out?

Anyway, my BIGGEST issue with all three - and even worse with Rudy Maxa (a bit of a douche) - is that they do travel WE cannot.  Being part of the business/industry is often being comped expensive rooms (fine, I can pay for those), but ALSO private access to areas common unwashed folks like me don't get.  Viewing the Mona Lisa alone, wandering various religious areas with the museum PR or administrator as a guide or other stuff is just not cool to me. 

17 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Fact: Samantha Brown tops them all.

I think I'd rate them Rick Steves > Samantha Brown > Joseph Rosendo > Darley Newman

18 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Darley is not allowed in our house. 

Good policy.  She's well known for leaving a dookie in the toilet for the next person to deal with.

• Hugs 1

Not a Darley fan, but I like how everything she eats tastes yum even though we can see she’s not impressed. She’s gracious about it. 

Rosendo routinely offends people by mocking their cultural ways. 

Steves discusses everything through a Christian worldview. Art, history, church buildings, green spaces, Communism. And a lot of drinking.

• Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Rick needs to step up his game and pick some South American or Asian or Australian or African locations.

That is one area where Joseph gets high marks.  In one episode he went to some shit hole place in Ethiopia.  He wanted to some footage of them dancing in traditional clothing or some such.  They'd only do it if he paid them.  It pissed him off and he admonished them in his closing monologue for being too commercial.   

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So wrong.  It is clearly Rick Steves > Joseph Rosendo > Christine van Blokland > Darley Newman > Samantha Brown > Rudy Maxa

Christine van Blokland is terrible she constantly misprounces places and things.  I think the order would be:

Rick Steves > Samantha Brown > Joseph Rosendo > Darley Newman >  Christine van Blokland > Rudy Maxa

I think we can agree Rudy is worthless.

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Rick is pretty mellow, and seems so good natured.   I would dig up the corpse of Bourdain to travel with, though, I think he would have been good fun to see the sights with.

You are correct fine sir.

Tony Bourdain > Rick Steves > Samantha Brown > Joseph Rosendo > Darley Newman >  Christine van Blokland > Rudy Maxa

I like Rick Steves a lot and go out of my way to watch some of his travel shows.

As a student of history, though, it bothers me that he gets a lot of that wrong - putting Middle Ages people in the Renaissance and leaving out key points that would make some of his statements less sensation.

His tips on how to see the most stuff or stay cheap, though, seem excellent.

I'm going to pick Samantha Brown and nobody else since I think she's the only one I've watched more than a few times.  Somebody on another forum mentioned they met Rick Steves while they were traveling somewhere and he was very nice and friendly, so that scores some points.

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

So wrong.  It is clearly Rick Steves > Joseph Rosendo > Christine van Blokland > Darley Newman > Samantha Brown > Rudy Maxa

I know Rudy’s brother, Rick. About 18 years ago I wrote a weekly newspaper wine column, and Rudy’s brother and sister in law owned a wine shop, Bottles and Corks, so I ran into them a lot. 

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

I'm going to pick Samantha Brown and nobody else since I think she's the only one I've watched more than a few times.  Somebody on another forum mentioned they met Rick Steves while they were traveling somewhere and he was very nice and friendly, so that scores some points.

I think @Scrapr had a connection to Rick Steves. I like Rick, but I think I’ve seen almost all of his episodes. 

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I generally agree, BUT, Rick needs to step up his game and pick some South American or Asian or Australian or African locations.

Back in the "old days", the few times I spoke to him, he was very nice and approachable.   He's practically in @Dottles backyard, so I wonder if they hang out?

Anyway, my BIGGEST issue with all three - and even worse with Rudy Maxa (a bit of a douche) - is that they do travel WE cannot.  Being part of the business/industry is often being comped expensive rooms (fine, I can pay for those), but ALSO private access to areas common unwashed folks like me don't get.  Viewing the Mona Lisa alone, wandering various religious areas with the museum PR or administrator as a guide or other stuff is just not cool to me. 

Yeah, Prick Steves is in Edmonds.  I went to his office once to buy a backpack that proved very useful in my European trekking days.  I've seen him live at REI in Seattle once too.  And countless times on PBS.  But I'm sick of the guy.  He's a big liberal stoner.

21 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah, Prick Steves is in Edmonds.  I went to his office once to buy a backpack that proved very useful in my European trekking days.  I've seen him live at REI in Seattle once too.  And countless times on PBS.  But I'm sick of the guy.  He's a big liberal stoner.

For whatever reason he supports cannabis legalization. That puzzles me.  :huh:

I understand the local  over-exposure.

Sure he sees things through a Christian lens which for me, is informative when he explains European liturgical art and architecture.  It's not horrible.  He's probably more open than hardliners.  

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

Not a Darley fan, but I like how everything she eats tastes yum even though we can see she’s not impressed. She’s gracious about it. 

Rosendo routinely offends people by mocking their cultural ways. 

Steves discusses everything through a Christian worldview. Art, history, church buildings, green spaces, Communism. And a lot of drinking.

Rosendo should be fired.

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sure he sees things through a Christian lens which for me, is informative when he explains European liturgical art and architecture.  It's not horrible.  He's probably more open than hardliners.  

None of this makes sense at all.

He is a liberal guy. Period.  Like a normal liberal person, especially one who has traveled extensively, he's pretty open to ideas like legal marijuana (or alcohol or tobacco).  Most liberal folks are pretty open to stuff like that (and many conservative "it's my business, not yours" types as well).

More open than "hardliners"?  Generally, he's more open than "normal" Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, whatevers.  There is absolutely no "Christian" tilt in his shows, other than he spends a lot of time in Europe so seems to go to a lot of churches (and synagogues and mosques and museums, castles, and restaurants).  I'm pretty sure he's not "probably" more open, but simply "is" more open.

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Rosendo should be fired.

What do folks here know about him that I haven't heard?  I think I enjoyed his CAnadian trips up a series of locks.  Anybody know what he's done that is so egregious?

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

He's alright.  He doesn't get on my nerves too much but I get why my conservative friends don't like him -- he wants to make America like Europe.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why on earth wouldn't everybody support its legalization?

Maybe hardliners are against it???

Just now, Randomguy said:

Yeah, that is what I thought, too.  A lot of European history has christianity woven thoughout, so you kind of have to touch on that alla time.  It never seemed overmuch to me.

He's a bloody Protestant yet he still visits Vatican City and some of the greatest cathedrals on Earth (works of insane architectural beauty and skill).  He clearly puts it into a "here's why Michelangelo painted it this way" or tries to interpret religious are for non-religious folks. He ain't no Sister Wendy!

• Heart 2

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe hardliners are against it???

Repressionist bastards!

I know there are some old folks out there who haven't succumbed to Covid 19 yet who are against it because "Reefer Madness" scared them so badly, plus they heard that negroes smoked it and then raped white women back in the 40's. 

Even the most conservative folks would have to admit that the 'war on drugs' is a failure, and laws that are routinely broken in plain sight only serve to lessen respect towards other laws and law enforcement officers in general.  If it is ubiquitous, does little harm, is readily available, AND ties up LEO's time and tax dollars on unnecessary imprisonment, isn't it obvious (and I mean utterly unmistakably obvious) that it should be legalized and at least taxed?  It is so dirt simple and understandable that only the most feeble-minded would object.

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

There is absolutely no "Christian" tilt in his shows, other than he spends a lot of time in Europe so seems to go to a lot of churches (and synagogues and mosques and museums, castles, and restaurants). 

During one of his shows where he's on stage talking about travel to an audience, one of the pieces of advice he gives is to embrace the local culture.  And he goes on to say, if you're at the Vatican, be catholic, if you in Germany, be Lutheran, if you're in Turkey, be Muslim because then the trip is more enjoyable.

The only time I've seen him leave Europe was his trip to Turkey.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

During one of his shows where he's on stage talking about travel to an audience, one of the pieces of advice he gives is to embrace the local culture.  And he goes on to say, if you're at the Vatican, be catholic, if you in Germany, be Lutheran, if you're in Turkey, be Muslim because then the trip is more enjoyable.

The only time I've seen him leave Europe was his trip to Turkey.

Also Morocco, Israel, Palestine, & Iran.

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

If it is ubiquitous, does little harm, is readily available, AND ties up LEO's time and tax dollars on unnecessary imprisonment, isn't it obvious (and I mean utterly unmistakably obvious) that it should be legalized and at least taxed?  It is so dirt simple and understandable that only the most feeble-minded would object.

It's legal here and it is awesome. 

• Haha 1