Flooring snafu

Square Wheels

I'm having some flooring put in.  I told them to lay it lengthwise with the house, they understood.  I went to the basement to paint some doors.  I come up, they're half done, wrong direction.

He offered to rip it out and start over.  Tried twice to call the wife for approval, no answer.  I made an executive decision.  I told them to leave it. 

What would you have done?  Should I ask for money off the final bill?

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Now I feel like I've been swindled.

I'll convince myself this will look fine.

That part that is done looks really nice.

Here is the rub.  If it bothers you now, it will bother you more as time passes.  It is like a tiny door ding on your car.  You do not see the 99.99999% that is blemish free, you see the door ding.

Sorry to say this, but we both know it is true.

Either get a substantial discount, or have them redo it.

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I certainly hope you had that all removed before you installed the new floor over the old floor.

Not a chance, it's likely asbestos.  I did a small amount of work on it.  That hack job was from the prior owner who had some plumbing work done.

They put floor leveler over the whole floor.

52 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Tried twice to call the wife for approval, no answer.  I made an executive decision.

EVERY time I've done that over my 38 years of marriage, I was wrong for some reason.     

If you lay flooring, it should always go perpendicular to any sub floor joists.  If that's how it was installed, that would be better than you original plan,

• Heart 1

Just now, Bikeguy said:

EVERY time I've done that over my 38 years of marriage, I was wrong for some reason. 

My wife is super cool and very laid back.

Just now, Bikeguy said:

If you lay flooring, it should always go perpendicular to any sub floor joists.  If that's how it was installed, that would be better than you original plan,

It's fake flooring, the laminate stuff.  There are two layers of plywood, 3/4 for the main floor with 5/8 underlayment for the old tile.  It won't move.

If it were real wood, I would have insisted they remove it.

• Heart 2

Which way looks better?  Sometimes an accident actually turns out well.

If it looks noticeably worse, you better start planning and building that "retirement home" sooner rather than later (and let your wife handle the contractors).

Finally, he may be a nice guy and all, but I really wonder about "professionals" who don't make sure they are TOTALLY on the same page (and even have a page with a drawing or two detailing the work).

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

There are three small rooms.  A place where the washer / dryer sits - that behind closed doors most of the time.  A tiny hallway at the top of the stairs.  Then a small, but larger room that is our office.  The flooring goes parallel with that room, so it looks good in there.

In the end, it will look good.

I have a ton of woodwork to do now.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

If it looks noticeably worse, you better start planning and building that "retirement home" sooner rather than later (and let your wife handle the contractors).

Finally, he may be a nice guy and all, but I really wonder about "professionals" who don't make sure they are TOTALLY on the same page (and even have a page with a drawing or two detailing the work).

Seems like long way in the room is pretty clear, unless the room is close to square.  The puzzling part is he said he understood. :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Just keep telling yourself that.  "It will good good."  "It will good good."  "It will good good."  "It will good good."  "It will good good." 

More importantly, “she will like it”, with a kumquat over it for repeating forever, er I mean a verticillium, or whatever!

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I was at Home Depot when she got home, she text me I love it, and The direction is perfect.  She tells me it would not have looked good the other direction.

This happened because you worried about it.

The things I worry about rarely come true, the things I dismiss as minor have a way of growing from molehill to volcano... 

PS: Glad it worked out

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Further said:

This happened because you worried about it.

The things I worry about rarely come true, the things I dismiss as minor have a way of growing from molehill to volcano... 

PS: Glad it worked out

:word: it is almost like Alfred e Newman was right, but good as it feels, not worrying at all does not seem right either. :D  Finding the right things to worry aboot, but only in moderation, seems right  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, even if she hated it, she just saw, oh well.  She really is very laid back about stuff like this.  We never fight or argue.  We rarely even disagree.

I don’t know. If there aren’t arguments, one of you is likely to have deep-hidden rage. If it’s not you...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I would have looked at what was done, and if it looked ok, I'd have them finish it that way.  I probably would have asked them which way to put it in anyway since I'm not good with that sort of stuff.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

I would have looked at what was done, and if it looked ok, I'd have them finish it that way.  I probably would have asked them which way to put it in anyway since I'm not good with that sort of stuff.

They do know best. That is what I did after checking with @AirwickWithCheese

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Will you also have an area rug in the office? 

Not likely.  It's oddly not cold on bare feet.  Since it's essentially plastic, but looks and feels like wood, I assumed it would be cold.

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Where are the pics?

I have a lot of woodwork to do still.  I'll take pics when I'm done.

14 minutes ago, groupw said:

I don’t know. If there aren’t arguments, one of you is likely to have deep-hidden rage. If it’s not you...

:)  Nope.  I was angry most of my life.  I try not to be anymore.  She never really has been.  We talk, we compromise, we plan.  We don't argue.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1