I just ratted out a shitty shop selling for far more than MSRP

Randomguy

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I would not be surprised if they cancel your Yelp membership and/or take the post down.  Yelp did that to my daughter.  They are apparently very beholden to busynesses, just like the sham BBB.

On my very first review?  It is a two-store bike shop chain, I am sure Yelp barely knows they exist.  I will keep an eye open and see if I get the same treatment.

2 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I have to ask, how did you determine MSRP? Was it from a manufacturer's web site, or just a price you saw the same thing listed for on line? Not trying to be rude, but I see this on bike forums all the time and people have no idea what MSRP actually is.

image.thumb.png.8cb929d3c98a2d02be5033f7601a62bc.png

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I have to ask, how did you determine MSRP? Was it from a manufacturer's web site, or just a price you saw the same thing listed for on line? Not trying to be rude, but I see this on bike forums all the time and people have no idea what MSRP actually is.

I am no ordinary dummy you are talking to, sir, I am the extraordinary kind!

I noticed that nobody deviated from the $90 mark online, which means L&M is protecting their value proposition by enforcing minimum pricing for online vendors.  Typically that means adherence to the MSRP.  I checked the L&M website just to confirm my smartypants status, and there is was, the same $90 on the company website.

I check shit out, generally, I dig knowing strategy and what is behind it and all that.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

My first LBS was almost that bad.  They sold me a bike that was clearly too big for me and were fairly snotty after that.  Thank goodness they are not local to me anymore.  Now my local one is uber courteous and fair and pleasant. :)

But still charge like 2x more than on-line for pretty much all merchandise, correct?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

But still charge like 2x more than on-line for pretty much all merchandise, correct?

I don;t think they;re that bad, but I just use them for maintenance and things I need right away.  They kill the other local bike shop on time and quality of repairs and maintenance.  Just aboot always can get something done in less than a week, which is awesome.

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I don;t think they;re that bad, but I just use them for maintenance and things I need right away.  They kill the other local bike shop on time and quality of repairs and maintenance.  Just aboot always can get something done in less than a week, which is awesome.

Yeah - just ribbing.  I go to @Old No. 7 's LBS for most of my bike stuff - maint, new bikes, small accessories, but generally buy on-line for clothing or other random stuff that sees just too big a mark-up or too little availability in the LBS.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - just ribbing.  I go to @Old No. 7 's LBS for most of my bike stuff - maint, new bikes, small accessories, but generally buy on-line for clothing or other random stuff that sees just too big a mark-up or too little availability in the LBS.

I buy very little bike shit.  I might need a new summer jersey soon though. :D  It is light blue on the ootside, dark blue on the inside. It is ancient.  That Performance shit REALLY held up.

I wonder how those elitist shops are doing in the Internet age?  I have had so many bad experiences at LBS’ due to bike snobs & poor customer service.   

The shops infrequent now all have a particular focus and great customer service.  All seemed to be doing well in the online ordering age and are freaking slammed now...

10 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

My LBS is charging $90 for that light and $150 for the commuter combo. I bet the LBS you called is asking $150 for the combo and failed to note the difference. 

And didn't want to check.  The price seemed high, which is why I was getting at that, but the asshole on the phone didn't even bother taking another look.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

And didn't want to check.  The price seemed high, which is why I was getting at that, but the asshole on the phone didn't even bother taking another look.

I wonder if he was an employee, a manager, or the owner?

I love NYC attitude!

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder if he was an employee, a manager, or the owner?

I love NYC attitude!

It really isn't a NYC attitude, most are nice enough, and if not nice enough, they are competent enough. 

I am convinced the guy is a manager at least, he clearly wasn't hiding his lack of enthusiasm and talked in a loud voice.  A punk-ass kid would've used a quiet voice for sure, not wanting to get in trouble for being a dick.  Dickishness is ingrained based on what I heard and sensed, and that generally comes from the top.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It really isn't a NYC attitude, most are nice enough, and if not nice enough, they are competent enough. 

I am convinced the guy is a manager at least, he clearly wasn't hiding his lack of enthusiasm and talked in a loud voice.  A punk-ass kid would've used a quiet voice for sure, not wanting to get in trouble for being a dick.  Dickishness is ingrained based on what I heard and sensed, and that generally comes from the top.

What shop?  Name some names, pretty boy!

I remember when my niece was up in Manhattan for a series of life saving surgeries, I would bring a crib sheet of all the LBS within a mile or so of the hospital she was in.  We would be there for quite a while, and only so much time could be spent in the waiting room, so I hit up quite a few shops to see what they had to offer. It got me some exercise, made me wander a bit to find each, and was a good way to de-stress while waiting for her surgeries to wrap up.  That was a while ago (she's almost a teenager now) but I bet some of those shops are still around.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I wonder how those elitist shops are doing in the Internet age?  I have had so many bad experiences at LBS’ due to bike snobs & poor customer service.

The elitist LBS in downtown Columbus shut down rather quickly. There is another shop about six miles away with great customer service. They have been constantly busy for the last six years. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Don't bother with Yelp, it's not worth the paper it's not printed on.

Leave a Google Review.  They get more respect.

Contacting L&M was the true move. It will have much more impact. Remember my car dealership story?  I got the typical, how did we do? email. I left a detailed review. I got a snotty, “this is what you should expect if you want quality repairs. I’m sorry you were upset.” email from the manager of the service department. 

A couple days later, I got an email from Ford asking if the dealership solved the problem. I only forwarded the manager’s email. 

Less than an hour later, someone from Ford called me. They couldn’t really do anything to fix the problem, but they credited me the deposit I put on the Bronco. While I was on the phone, the service department manager tried to call me and then emailed me to apologize. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I would not be surprised if they cancel your Yelp membership and/or take the post down.  Yelp did that to my daughter.  They are apparently very beholden to busynesses, just like the sham BBB.

I left a review for a company that had a BBB sticker on their vehicle. Yelp contacted me and asked me to prove what I said. 
I sent the video footage to them from my GoPro of the guy swearing at me, and trying to get out of his work truck to pick a fight with me in the middle of the street. 

They personally added the disclaimer stating it was true to the bottom of my post and also a link to contact them for the video I gave them permission to pass around. 
The BBB removed the company from their services a week later. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1