The Story of the Odd Little Beeping

Kirby

46 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Code in most places requires inter-connected alarms (powered by house AC) have backup batteries.  This is for when you need the alarm but the power is out.

This one is so old it's probably before that requirement.  Even the firemen couldn't find a battery.

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Smoke / CO2 detectors have a short life, maybe 10 years. 

This is what I found when I read the instructions for my smoke/CO detectors.   10 years is the expected 'life' of a detector.

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

I felt very silly but also glad that the alarm stopped beeping for no apparent reason.

Probably because they are dead... and won't work anymore.      I'd change them out for new ones.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I didn't get a good night's sleep on Sunday.  This made me very tired.  So I decided to skip lunch and take a brief nap.  This made me feel a bit devilish.  I set the alarm for 50 minutes but about 20 minutes into the nap I heard beeping.  At first I thought it was my alarm clock but then I realized it was the fire alarm.  This made me feel alarmed. I was also annoyed because I knew if the firemen came again, they'd ask if I'd called an electrician and I hadn't.  This made me a little embarrassed. Then I realized it wasn't my old alarm that was beeping but he new one I had put up because I didn't think the old one worked.  This made me feel a little relieved but also alarmed again.  But I didn't see any fire or smell any smoke, so I just took down the alarm and tried to stop it.  This made me feel a bit reckless.  But I couldn't stop it.  This just made me frustrated.  Eventually I got it to stop and threw it out.  I ordered a new one which I just put up.  It's not beeping at the moment, so that makes me feel relieved.

The End (unless it's not).

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Kirby said:

UPDATE

I didn't get a good night's sleep on Sunday.  This made me very tired.  So I decided to skip lunch and take a brief nap.  This made me feel a bit devilish.  I set the alarm for 50 minutes but about 20 minutes into the nap I heard beeping.  At first I thought it was my alarm clock but then I realized it was the fire alarm.  This made me feel alarmed. I was also annoyed because I knew if the firemen came again, they'd ask if I'd called an electrician and I hadn't.  This made me a little embarrassed. Then I realized it wasn't my old alarm that was beeping but he new one I had put up because I didn't think the old one worked.  This made me feel a little relieved but also alarmed again.  But I didn't see any fire or smell any smoke, so I just took down the alarm and tried to stop it.  This made me feel a bit reckless.  But I couldn't stop it.  This just made me frustrated.  Eventually I got it to stop and threw it out.  I ordered a new one which I just put up.  It's not beeping at the moment, so that makes me feel relieved.

The End (unless it's not).

THis is like one of those monster movies where you think the monster is dead but in the final scene he opens his eyes guaranteeing a sequel.   

• Haha 1

Just now, Mr. Tickle said:

THis is like one of those monster movies where you think the monster is dead but in the final scene he opens his eyes guaranteeing a sequel.   

it's even worse because it was a new alarm - this could go on forever!!!!!!! :runcirclsmiley:

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I was just sitting down to drink my coffee this morning when my smoke alarm beeped and that familiar female voice said “carbon monoxide detected” I went downstairs to check the furnace and the flue pipe had been blown half way off. It’s a wonder the house didn’t fill up with smoke. Evidently the chimney was drawing all the smoke up the chimney with just enough carbon monoxide escaping to get the alarm girl’s attention.

I am glad you have the detector girl in the basement-- safety first.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

10 hours ago, Kirby said:

Luckily Fire Chief Mike wasn't there to witness my silliness this time.

My dad worked at the Colgate factory for 33+ years.  He was a machinist by trade.  He made parts to keep the toothpaste machines running.  His last 12 or so years he switched to "Plant Protection".  He was in charge of teaching people about fire safety.  He maintained the sprinkler system (which ran off huge pumps down on the river), fire alarms, fire extinguishers, etc. (and probably a lot more crap I didn't know about).   

We met a couple once that the wife worked at Colgate and I asked her if she knew Dad.  She said no.  I was like "He's been there for years.  Everyone knows Bob!  He is change of the fire system...."

She said "Oh, you mean Fire Marshall Bob??"  

LOL, I had never heard my dad called Fire Marshall Bob.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2