Lindy’s Tale

Airehead

Very early Thursday morning, Lindy started throwing up blood. Bright red blood.  This is definitely not normal in an otherwise healthy, young dog with no known odd histories in his line.
An emergency call to the vet and whisked him in. They kept him all day with anti nausea medicine and fluids. He got an X-ray, a MRI, and a CAT scan. They took blood and urine.
He was doing poorly but his temperature was normal.  Heart rate was erratic from highly elevated to way to slow.   His blood panel showed nothing obvious. There is nothing in him causing any type of blockage or torsion. For awhile I was convinced he had eaten a fork because one was missing. He didn’t and I counted wrong.

He has no masses or tumors. His spleen or other organs are not enlarged.  They did an esophagogastroduodenoscopy and saw no perforations of his esophagus. 

They are waiting for results from a Resting Cortisol test.   Dr Beth thinks indicators look like perhaps Addison which would explain the crash. 

Einstein picked him up at 8pm.  We did the overnight monitoring and fluids.   Today, he is walking around as if he is tired from a vacation. Not his usual pep but also not incapacitated.   He ate some macaroni and cheese we made for him. He drank some water. First picture is last night resting at home and second is right now.   

0EC9E414-DC13-4FA0-B58F-33EA61AB6789.jpeg

• Sad 5
  • Hugs 2

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

“Hey, those drugs they gave me were pretty good....can we go back...?”

You may be right. He really loves it there. Pulls to go In precovid days. He got carried in this time but typically when they get him from the van he prances away with nary a look back. I believe taking them just to say hi as puppies. Helps. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Not sure if I’d trade you “vomiting blood” for “raging shits”........<_<

Close choice. That is definitely an old dog issue. Rice mixed with canned pumpkin but sometimes not even that helps. 

Awwww, poor Lindy.  I'm glad he's doing better but I hope they figure out what the problem is.  Please give him extra hugs from me and to make sure the others aren't left out give them extra hugs too.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Very early Thursday morning, Lindy started throwing up blood. Bright red blood.  This is definitely not normal in an otherwise healthy, young dog with no known odd histories in his line.
An emergency call to the vet and whisked him in. They kept him all day with anti nausea medicine and fluids. He got an X-ray, a MRI, and a CAT scan. They took blood and urine.
He was doing poorly but his temperature was normal.  Heart rate was erratic from highly elevated to way to slow.   His blood panel showed nothing obvious. There is nothing in him causing any type of blockage or torsion. For awhile I was convinced he had eaten a fork because one was missing. He didn’t and I counted wrong.

He has no masses or tumors. His spleen or other organs are not enlarged.  They did an esophagogastroduodenoscopy and saw no perforations of his esophagus. 

They are waiting for results from a Resting Cortisol test.   Dr Beth thinks indicators look like perhaps Addison which would explain the crash. 

Einstein picked him up at 8pm.  We did the overnight monitoring and fluids.   Today, he is walking around as if he is tired from a vacation. Not his usual pep but also not incapacitated.   He ate some macaroni and cheese we made for him. He drank some water. First picture is last night resting at home and second is right now.   

0EC9E414-DC13-4FA0-B58F-33EA61AB6789.jpeg

I hope he continues to perk up!  Probably ate a beetle or something.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So sorry.  Did he get a transfusion?  It's a thing for dogs too, especially if he lost a lot of blood.  That would explain the erratic heart rate and tiredness.

Did he get into a poison, eat a poisonous plant?

No one has left the property. No plants inside the dog fencing so probably not poison. @Randomguy May be right. Spider or snake perhaps. 

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

How old is Gus now?

13 1/2.  

“Gotta be the oldest Rottweiler I’ve seen!” said the vet. “Uh, no, Zöe was 14” <looks at chart> “Oh yeah! You’re right!”

His back end has gotten really weak, but to make matters worse, he cut one of his front paws a couple of months ago and he still won’t put weight on it, so he’s basically got one good leg.

Since he can hardly walk, it’s a challenge to get him to go out twice a day - even though he knows he has to.

Twice, he starved himself to the point where I thought “Ok....this is it...” until I realized he still had an appetite - just not for what I was feeding him. I started shoving anything he’d eat. It’s still a struggle to make it “special” enough.

He goes out twice a day, eats twice a day and pretty much just lays in one place all day.

• Hugs 4

Oh Jesus. So labwork, x-rays, ultrasound, MRI, CT..... nothing nuclear ?? No fluoro and no mammogram???? SLACKERS!!!!   

seriously, I really hope you have doggie insurance. And where the heck did you go that has all that for animals??

I really am hoping Lindy's event was a fluke and that he's ok, but all this imaging is making me nervous!  

• Heart 1

On 8/15/2020 at 9:01 AM, Airehead said:

His smile is back today and he jumped on the bed this morning good signs. Still not back to his regular self. He ate part of his breakfast and is now back in his bed. 

I believe they needed skin for the ultrasound tool. 

I'm glad he was ok with the cats checking him out.

• Haha 1