Do you know where your drains go ?

Further

Pacific... we don’t have them in my neighborhood but a few miles away the city has signs on the drains that say no dumping, drains directly to ocean. 

Bacteria levels do rise dramatically at our local beaches and trash from miles away ends up on our beaches after rains.  When I was younger and we still had numerous Orange groves the Newport Harbor would have so many oranges floating in it it looked like you could walk across it after a god rain storm.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

So growing up in the country in NW PA and studying earth science as a kid I came to a realization by tracing streams.  The rain that fell in our yard drained west and eventually Allegany River and the Mississippi.  The rain that fell in the field on the east side of the yard went east to Lake Erie.  The divide was 50 feet off our porch.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So growing up in the country in NW PA and studying earth science as a kid I came to a realization by tracing streams.  The rain that fell in our yard drained west and eventually Allegany River and the Mississippi.  The rain that fell in the field on the east side of the yard went east to Lake Erie.  The divide was 50 feet off our porch.

Cool!  French creek to the Allegheny to Pissburgh to the Ohio to old Miss to the Gulf of Mexico for me.

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My buddy and I were talking about this today !

He has a friend who owns property northwest of Pittsburgh, there is a tree on a hill, piss on the west side and it goes to the gulf, piss on the east side and it takes the Susquehanna to the Chesapeake  

All the water around here flows into the lowest spot in the area, our lake. And when that overflows, it has no place to go but our basements. I've often thought about renting a huge diesel pump with a mile of hose and pump it into a nearby creek until I got caught. 

What? I didnt know that it was illegal....:dontknow:

tree down.jpg

• Awesome 1

There is a big ol' silver maple across the street from us. It has caused a lot of frustration for us and our neighbors through the years because of the roots digging into the sewer pipe. HoSmudge finally had enough and told the city they have to fix the pipe. HoSmudge knew exactly where the problem was; he went out to the street when the guy we hired to snake out the sewer line was in our basement working on it. HoSmudge could feel the blacktop vibrating.

The city showed up with a local guy they hired to tear up the spot with the break/crumble in the pipe. They dug and dug and were about to give up. HoSmudge put his foot down and said they were 10 feet off; dig here! Sure as shit, they found the broken sewer pipe. 

They fixed it, and we never got a bill.

BTW, after that our drain water goes to Lake Michigan too.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Further said:

He has a friend who owns property northwest of Pittsburgh, there is a tree on a hill, piss on the west side and it goes to the gulf, piss on the east side and it takes the Susquehanna to the Chesapeake  

I think your friend is mistaken? Northwest of Pittsburgh would either be to the Ohio or Erie.

B037E801-6E7C-474D-BC86-3E65946EF08D.png

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think your friend is mistaken? Northwest of Pittsburgh would either be to the Ohio or Erie.

B037E801-6E7C-474D-BC86-3E65946EF08D.png

My bad.  North east of Pittsburgh   Somewhere around St Marys

One side of the hill leads to the Sinnemahoniny and then Susquehanna 

The other ends up in Allegheny 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

The treated wastewater use to be dumped into the Econlockhatchee River to St Johns River to the Atlantic Ocean, however it was high in phosphate creating algae blooms killing the fish. Now, they skip the Econ River (short name) and dump into a former ranch, now with 16 diked pools that takes 40 days to filter through before it reaches the St Johns River. Vegetation absorbs the phosphates and other minerals and by the time it reaches the river, has less phosphate than the river has naturally. Orlando Wetlands is technically an active wastewater treatment plant that is also a county park and I take a lot of hikes and nature photographs out there. While not exactly a mountain bike challenge course, I take it out there to cover more ground on the over 20 miles of roads that the dikes create.

No motor vehicles other than county maintenance trucks. Jogging/hiking, bikes or horseback only and on weekends there is an electric tram operated by volunteers.

Weltands 2-2019-21.jpg

• Awesome 1