WIB

Digital_photog

Wednesday I bought a new Jet wood lathe.  Some of you may have seen on the book of faces that I have been doing spinning wheel restorations since my eye surgery that has limited heavy outdoor work. I have been getting so many requests for bobbins and other parts for old wheels with no production parts available that I needed a bigger and faster lathe. (i'm retired and don't want to spend all my play time working. Also I like toys.)  Only problem is I need to sell a lot of work to pay for $1500 of new tools. I think I have a good start.  Since Wednesday I have sold $500 of parts. With this new lathe I have cut my time in half to make the items so now can clear $40-50/hr and still be a little cheaper than most of the other shops. I have been warned by a friend to remember that I am retired and to keep it a hobby and not a business that ties me down. This picture shows under 2 hours of work.

DSCN0608.jpg.c2fedeffeef15e9f91e472f625554571.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The resident spinner says “Nice!”

You have a spinner in your house?  Maybe the spinner would like this wheel that I bought 2 years ago for WoD_P. Made in Kentucky in 1796, Went with the family to Texas.  Was in the original maker's family till I got it 2 years ago.  Just finished restoring it in June. The bobbins in the picture are for that wheel. It now has 7 bobbins. This was a flax wheel to make linen thread.  I have enlarged the orifice to use it to spin wool. 

DSCN0465.thumb.jpg.06077c8de3822ec28b74a9d5ba568a06.jpg

12 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You have a spinner in your house?  Maybe the spinner would like this wheel that I bought 2 years ago for WoD_P. Made in Kentucky in 1796, Went with the family to Texas.  Was in the original maker's family till I got it 2 years ago.  Just finished restoring it in June. The bobbins in the picture are for that wheel. It now has 7 bobbins. This was a flax wheel to make linen thread.  I have enlarged the orifice to use it to spin wool. 

DSCN0465.thumb.jpg.06077c8de3822ec28b74a9d5ba568a06.jpg

Poor Santa...lost his beard. :o And you are getting ready to destroy the evidence...spinning into what?

20 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I just got a 20 minute dissertation on the different types of wheels, the parts of the wheel....:angry:

;)

Did she notice that that wheel has a distaff? Yes, the top was missing and I had to make a new one.  Also did she see the wear on the treadle from the many years of use?