Red cabbage

Airehead

I would say “no”. Slaws and stuff like this usually include a Granny Smith apple, because it plays nice with the cabbage

Someone just gave me a big-ass head of cabbage, so I’m going to try this whenever my canning lids and stuff get here from Amazone....damned hoarders....🤬

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I would say “no”. Slaws and stuff like this usually include a Granny Smith apple, because it plays nice with the cabbage

Someone just gave me a big-ass head of cabbage, so I’m going to try this whenever my canning lids and stuff get here from Amazone....damned hoarders....🤬

You can try the peaches but I’m in agreement with the above.

• Heart 1

@F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Interesting that they mentioned Pickle Weights....I remember my grandfather making Sauerkraut in a large crock..there was a small wooden assembly that would fit on top..and several rocks..I was pretty young at the time..that is about all I remember of that event.  although I do remember him Grinding his own horse raddish as well

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

there was a small wooden assembly that would fit on top

...and good luck trying to find one of those still with the crock.

24 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I do remember him Grinding his own horse raddish

I remember grinding my own horseradish too. Vividly.

I took the food processor out on the deck and set it on a chair. I ground up the horseradish and then slowly added the vinegar through the chute while it was running, watching down the chute to see when it got to the right consistency. One drop of vinegar flew up out of the chute and landed just inside my nostril.

It was almost a religious experience.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I am guessing no, does the recipe specify what kind of apple?

I am guessing no too but I did it anyway. I wasn’t  about to drive to town for one Apple.   I also added some lemon juice in with the apple cider vinegar. I will let you know tonight. 

• Heart 1

There were a number of red cabbage and peach recipes online, although some called for green cabbage or other ingredients as well.  But I'd say yes, which is a good answer since you've already done it.

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/recipes/a20500072/peachy-red-cabbage-salad/

https://withfoodandlove.com/detox-summer-slaw/

• Heart 2