Remember the guy who rode with his dad....

Zephyr

I found the trick to riding a ‘bent is to stop being afraid of it and lean back into the seat.

If you’re sitting upright, they handle like ass. Lean back like you’re supposed to and they work pretty well

30 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

they are really fun to ride.

When I worked in a bike shop, there was a recumbent trike that someone had ordered and bailed on. It was in the shop forever. One night there was no one in the store and we were bored, so we took it out into the parking lot. I was doing stoppies  and bashing the chainrings into the pavement and then slamming the back wheel back down....and giggling like a 12 year old. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

When I worked in a bike shop, there was a recumbent trike that someone had ordered and bailed on. It was in the shop forever. One night there was no one in the store and we were bored, so we took it out into the parking lot. I was doing stoppies  and bashing the chainrings into the pavement and then slamming the back wheel back down....and giggling like a 12 year old. 

So THAT is what Kirby rides. :D

My first time on a recumbent would have been funny to anybody watching. It was a short wheelbase with extremely twitchy steering, and it took me most of a 800km road tour to really get comfortable with it.

That was a rental unit, and when I decided to buy one, I went with a long wheelbase model with under seat steering. I took to that one right away with zero learning curve, but as shown in this video, my friend had quite a struggle with it when I let him try it.

The opening scene is a much younger me (about 20 or so years ago.)

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They are easy to ride if you have the right beard.

Are they actually easier to ride as far as less effort to go the same speed?  It doesn't appear so.  They would have a big aerodynamic advantage but what aboot mechanical advantage?  I was very interested in them a decade or two ago (yeah. I was MUCH ooo young and had no beard :D ) and I thought I had read that the conventional diamond frame was much less efficient so that is why bents were prohibited in racing.  IBut I can't imagine doing the TdF on a bent!

19 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

My first time on a recumbent would have been funny to anybody watching. It was a short wheelbase with extremely twitchy steering, and it took me most of a 800km road tour to really get comfortable with it.

That was a rental unit, and when I decided to buy one, I went with a long wheelbase model with under seat steering. I took to that one right away with zero learning curve, but as shown in this video, my friend had quite a struggle with it when I let him try it.

The opening scene is a much younger me (about 20 or so years ago.)

I like the action packer/ beer cooler attached to the back.  Does it come with cup holders?

I find them to be the exception to the "just like riding a bike" concept.

And, here's the Strava segment and while it is not a very popular climb (179 unique riders). Jochen did finish just out of the top 10%.  Still, almost 40% slower than the seeming "normal" road bike.  And damn, that road would also not be very fun to descend in a recumbent.  I will say, one of the only times I have been passed by a recumbent was on the pancake flat Seagull Century ride.  I think that is a "big" event for recumbents as there are no hills.  Perfect for an aerodynamic but fickle bike.

image.thumb.png.4902a7b38aacfda28651107eea9fde30.png

image.thumb.png.7803911de231ac5a051c0f78acd9af78.png

image.thumb.png.4a477d2ef1ed8bf69c35d0f3b45cbaf0.png