Laura and Marco

BuffJim

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Good thing I just got my NC beach trip in.

Was it pretty rainy?  One of the two upcoming storms could affect the East Coast. The other Seems headed below Cuba. I’m basing my predictions on one internet tweet from a hurricane chaser, so take them with a grain assault. 

8 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Was it pretty rainy?  One of the two upcoming storms could affect the East Coast. The other Seems headed below Cuba. I’m basing my predictions on one internet tweet from a hurricane chaser, so take them with a grain assault. 

We had storms last night, and rain on Friday during the afternoon, but otherwise a really nice week of weather.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

MOJ wave?

First I fucked up.  It's the MJO wave or oscillation.

Here it is:

A hemispheric-scale wave of increased moisture and lift called the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) is moving eastward through the Pacific Ocean. When the increased moisture and lift reaches a tropical ocean basin, the chance of getting a tropical depression or storm is increased for a week or so.

(MORE: What Is the Madden-Julian Oscillation?)

In the heart of hurricane season, this MJO wave can also lead to tropical cyclone outbreaks as the wave passes. Tropical cyclone outbreaks are quick bursts of activity consisting of three or more tropical depressions or storms in a week or two in one basin.

This MJO wave is expected to have its peak influence on the Atlantic in the final 10 days of the month before moving out of the Atlantic sometime in early September.

It is far too early to know where storms could form, or how many will form in this period, but we all should be prepared, especially going into the peak of hurricane season.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, the major concern when a hurricane's coming isn't usually damage from winds - except for frequent power losses due to downed trees, the main worry is flooding.

Laura is barely expected to reach hurricane wind speeds, 80-90 mph at landfall.

But look at its projected path - right up the Mississippi to southern Illinois.  I wonder what the flooding situation is going to be in Louisiana, Missouri, and Mississippi?

And then Marco may follow right behind Laura up the Mississippi!

Potentially "Hurricane Marco?"  I remember the old joke that's now decades out of date: "Why don't they name hurricanes with boy's names?"  "Because they'd have to call it a himacane."

image.png.90d24c3b6e5734e270cb6b86581930db.png

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

What is today’s update?  Weather heads are all over tv but I don’t trust them. I trust Death Jim. 

Laura for the win. Marco won’t be remembered. Laura may become a powerful hurricane before landfall Wed-Thurs between Houston and New Orleans. Keep your eyes on Laura. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

This is the most boring weather mayhem thread in a while!  Even the six waterspouts was underwhelming :(

What gives????  Is someone gonna find a way to goose this topic or should we look to the future and some other storm?

2020 has changed your expectations. A simple catastrophe isn’t enough anymore. 

• Awesome 1

I always hope hurricanes will hit low-population areas or lose strength before landfall.

I've always lived on high ground, but have had friends and relatives greatly harmed by the floods involved with hurricanes.  In 1972 after Hurricane Agnes, we tried to figure out how to get from Baltimore to Wilkes-Barre, PA - which was under a record Susquehanna flood - to bring food, etc. to relatives.  We couldn't get out of Maryland.

A lot of people in the Wilkes-Barre, PA and Ellicott City, MD areas committed suicide after Agnes, despite the federal disaster relief.

In 2011, my Basement was flooded with 3 feet of water due to 3 days with no electrical power.

Hurricanes are no fun - except in college when a bunch of foolish friends and I had a contest to see who could lean straight forward, into the 120 mph wind, without our faces touching the ground.  We all got about 1' above the ground with the wind holding our bodies up.  We were lucky we didn't get seriously whacked by debris.

10 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've always lived on high ground, but have had friends and relatives greatly harmed by the floods involved with hurricanes.  In 1972 after Hurricane Agnes, we tried to figure out how to get from Baltimore to Wilkes-Barre, PA - which was under a record Susquehanna flood - to bring food, etc. to relatives.  We couldn't get out of Maryland.

Would you hit the Susquehanna before Harrisburg?  They have a lot of bridges up that way, too (several train ones, though)!  But in '72?  Maybe not.

image.thumb.png.df16a2295c922ef977557c19326f253b.png

We did get "stuck" up in Philly at my cousin's wedding several years ago when the big I-95 bridge was closed due to high winds from a hurricane/tropical storm moving up through VA/MD/DE/PA at the time.

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Cat 4 and still strengthening. Port Arthur, Beaumont, Cameron and Morgan City all look to take a beating. Even Shreveport and Little Rock. Houston looks to have dodged a bullet, mostly. 

To be fair, this is about Laura AND Marco.  I am hurt we're not getting Marco updates anymore :(  It's why I moved to the other thread focused solely on Laura!

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

To be fair, this is about Laura AND Marco.  I am hurt we're not getting Marco updates anymore :(  It's why I moved to the other thread focused solely on Laura!

When it’s all said and done, we’ll be able to say Laura and Marco combined for 352 fatalities (or whatever the number ends up at). In the same way that I can say that Babe Ruth and I combined for 714 career home runs. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Cat 4 and still strengthening. Port Arthur, Beaumont, Cameron and Morgan City all look to take a beating. Even Shreveport and Little Rock. Houston looks to have dodged a bullet, mostly. 

Meant to say Lake Charles, not Morgan City. Weather channel announcer just said, he hopes everyone evacuated Lake Charles, or we’ll be seeing helicopters rescuing people off their roofs.