I May Be A Dick - Example #317

Razors Edge

On my ride yesterday, it was a "lollipop" - ie I ride out to the start of a loop, ride the loop, and then return the way I came.  For me, the "reason" for the ride is that one hour loop, not really the out-and-back piece.

Anyway, I finished up my loop, and as I got to the "return" segment, I pulled over to give my wife a heads up that I would be home in an hour.  I did my normal water bottle swap, and started noodling along.  About that time, some guy cruised on past, and looking down at my HR, I figured I could be riding a little more vigorously, so increased my speed to match the guy and stayed back 40' or so and liked having a carrot out ahead of me.

Apparently, though, he relished the idea of dropping me, and would occasionally look back & pedal a bit harder. :)  That seemed to be all well and good until about 15-20mins later when he must have realized it wasn't working for him :(  One final glance behind and then a rapid slowing & a furious and frustrated arm wave to get me to go past.  Oh well, it was good while it lasted, but maybe not his happiest ride. I think I diskishly made the ride about me and stole his joy.

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Are you really a dick if the other dick was biting dickish before you were being dickish and his being a dick was the reason for you being a dick?

It's tough.  Folks like to pass and hate to be passed.  I'm a perfect example since I was slowed down to text my wife (I stopped for that!) and swapping the water bottles, and wasn't pushing to get back going too hard.  It wasn't until I was passed that I realized I was just cruising on auto-pilot.  His pass brought me back to awareness, and he was a nice little carrot.  I hate yo-yo-ing with strangers on a ride, so I generally match speed and try to keep the distance 30'-40' so I still get a "workout" without drafting too much.

But, yeah, his furious wave was funny to me.  He was cooked, so as I passed, he was at least able to continue his ride without having to look back over his shoulder more often. 

Probably a pair of dicks?  Like Dick Van Patten and Dick Van Dyke!

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

No. "being a dick" would have involved passing him sitting up, no-handed, maybe even taking a pull from your water bottle.

Not that I've ever done this. :whistle:

I do the passing while drinking quite a bit, but it isn't usually after shadowing folks - just catching and rolling by normal folks.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I do the passing while drinking quite a bit, but it isn't usually after shadowing folks - just catching and rolling by normal folks.

When I ride the canal, I always wave or say "hi" or "good morning" as I pass people - either direction. Surprisingly runners are the friendliest, walkers are a mixed bag and cyclists are often grumpy.

If I pass cyclists going the opposite direction and they're snooty, if I see them ahead of me, after I've turned around, I'll chase them down and pass them, no-handed, while sitting up - usually at 5-10MPH faster than they're going. :whistle:

I did this once, while riding with SO and I couldn't shake the guy. :D We went on for a mile or two, neither one able to pass. I finally sat up, laughed and told the guy "I gotta get back or she's gonna be pissed..." Turned out to be a buddy of mine that I hadn't seen in years. :D

• Heart 1

We’re you riding SART?!?!  

I was cruising along SART last week on my Anthem.  I hadn’t  been feeling well up to that point with sinus issues & dizziness the past week prior so since I was feeling better took an easy spin. I noticed as I get my heart rate up my head would start pounding so I was just cruising.

Anyway, I’m noodling along and some guy rides up next to me, “that’s all ya got?”   Yup...  Shit like that is just the norm on that trail.

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We’re you riding SART?!?! 

One of these days!

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Shit like that is just the norm on that trail.

Our main "unhappy", "unskilled", and "annoying" class of rider is the TT/tri folks or anyone on aero bars in general.  Those guys (and gals) really hate to be passed :D  but that makes it soooo much nicer.  In that case, I embrace my inner dick, and do the swig from the water bottle while loudly giving them a "howdy!" as I roll by.

No, you weren’t a dick. The other rider chose his reaction to your following him. It’s not like you were drafting him. I hate passing people who suddenly decide they are going to draft off of you without asking. I don’t mind people passing me. I usually say, “go get ‘em”

7 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I don’t mind people passing me. I usually say, “go get ‘em”

I say "howdy" to EVERY cyclist I pass.  I'll nod or wave to every cyclist I pass out on the road, or, if on the trail, I do the same to approaching riders when we make eye contact or they are looking in my general direction.

I have clearly never passed you, as my "response to a howdy" ratio is about one in fifty or maybe a hundred, so I would remember a "go get 'em"!

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

On my ride yesterday, it was a "lollipop" - ie I ride out to the start of a loop, ride the loop, and then return the way I came.  For me, the "reason" for the ride is that one hour loop, not really the out-and-back piece.

Anyway, I finished up my loop, and as I got to the "return" segment, I pulled over to give my wife a heads up that I would be home in an hour.  I did my normal water bottle swap, and started noodling along.  About that time, some guy cruised on past, and looking down at my HR, I figured I could be riding a little more vigorously, so increased my speed to match the guy and stayed back 40' or so and liked having a carrot out ahead of me.

Apparently, though, he relished the idea of dropping me, and would occasionally look back & pedal a bit harder. :)  That seemed to be all well and good until about 15-20mins later when he must have realized it wasn't working for him :(  One final glance behind and then a rapid slowing & a furious and frustrated arm wave to get me to go past.  Oh well, it was good while it lasted, but maybe not his happiest ride. I think I diskishly made the ride about me and stole his joy.

Lollipop - so that's what you call an out-and-back with a loop on the far end!  Sometimes I'll ride part of the Baltimore and Annapolis Bike Trail, make a diversion to a park where I do its loop trail, then ride back to where I started on the B&A Trail.  Lollipop.  I'll have to remember that.  Thanks!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

No. "being a dick" would have involved passing him sitting up, no-handed, maybe even taking a pull from your water bottle.

Not that I've ever done this. :whistle:

Biggest dick move I ever saw was a shirtless guy on a rusty 500# beach cruiser wearing sandals pass me.  :angry::mellow::P

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Lollipop - so that's what you call an out-and-back with a loop on the far end!  Sometimes I'll ride part of the Baltimore and Annapolis Bike Trail, make a diversion to a park where I do its loop trail, then ride back to where I started on the B&A Trail.  Lollipop.  I'll have to remember that.  Thanks!

Or maybe a tomahawk!

image.png.babca945e1a8f29db9e63c326b4ac033.png

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

Biggest dick move I ever saw was a shirtless guy on a rusty 500# beach cruiser wearing sandals pass me.  :angry::mellow::P

Heh. At the start of an MTB trail, I came up behind a guy on a Walmart bike, wearing a flannel shirt, jeans, work boots and an old school Bell turtle shell helmet - no plastic shell, just the styrofoam.

The trail starts off fairly steep and narrow and I was thinking “how am I gonna get around this guy....?”

We got to the foot of the climb and he took off like he was shot out of a cannon.

”Oh.....guess that’s not gonna be a problem...”

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Oddly, I passed at least 4 e-bikes, and they were all being ridden at like 10mph.  I couldn't figure it out.  Most have a minimum of assist to 15+ if not all the way up to 28mph on the nicer ones.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

When you're out riding on a trail, there are going to be bikes/pedestrians/skaters that pass you or you pass them and that's part of the experience. It's not a race so it shouldn't diminish your pleasure.

BUT, if you're not that fast a cyclist and have a bike behind you and do not have a rear view mirror, it can be unnerving to wonder if suddenly that bike behind you is going to come flying by when the trail gets narrower or there are bikes/pedestrians/skaters going the opposite direction.

So if he was bothered by you hanging behind him, it's his fault for not being able to keep a continuous eye you or else it's ok that he slowed to let you pass.

I only average about 12 mph on a mountain bike, am passed often on trails, and make sure I have a rear view mirror attached to the end of a handlebar so I can see what's coming up behind me. It and small rear rack with a small bag of tools/goodies may not look cool, but I don't care - they do the job and keep me stress free.

image.thumb.png.1632e130ca20d565e16bb366c1768fa6.png

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Back to the most important point here.  The n00b titles a thread "I may be a Dick."  Hey it's the n00b.  The obvious and only correct answer is - Yes.

Example numbers 1 through 316 clearly established the answer.  #317 was just a bit of "burnishment of a pedigree"!

giphy.gif

There was a couple ahead of me last weekend. They pulled on the road I was riding about 1/2 to 3/4 miles ahead of me. It had been a harder ride so it was nice to have a rabbit to chase the last 4 miles. 
As I got closer the kit and riding style looked like a riding buddy and possibly his wife. He always likes to stop for ice cream on his rides. I had to put in an effort to catch them. I set the best time of the year for everyone on the last Strava segment. I caught them and got beside them a couple blocks before my turn   As I was passing I asked if it was time for ice cream. But it wasn’t my buddy. I didn’t know the couple and they were nice about it, but I could tell they thought was a strange greeting. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, groupw said:

As I was passing I asked if it was time for ice cream. But it wasn’t my buddy. I didn’t know the couple and they were nice about it, but I could tell they thought was a strange greeting. 

But let's be honest, that's a GREAT greeting.  I can see @F_in Ray Of Sunshine saying it as he passes by just before he sips his bottle.

• Heart 1

On 8/17/2020 at 6:56 AM, Razors Edge said:

Had another Dick moment on SART yesterday... On a MUP so I didn’t turn on my rear blinky light to save the battery.   Some roadie dude passes, slows and says “you need to turn your rear light on!”

Really? I need to turn it on, on a MUP during daytime? Did he almost hit me because my blinky light was off?    Who the fuck is he anyway telling me what I need to do?   Then I realized, that’s right I’m on SART, asshole central for roadie douche bags... Par for the course...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Had another Dick moment on SART yesterday... On a MUP so I didn’t turn on my rear blinky light to save the battery.   Some roadie dude passes, slows and says “you need to turn your rear light on!”

Really? I need to turn it on, on a MUP during daytime? Did he almost hit me because my blinky light was off?    Who the fuck is he anyway telling me what I need to do?   Then I realized, that’s right I’m on SART, asshole central for roadie douche bags... Par for the course...

I rolled up on a roadie last night and as I was going to pass him, he turned and saw me - literally as I was about to greet him with my "howdy!".  Anyway, he's like, "you got to say something...", and I chuckled and kept rolling.

My philosophy is the same on the interstate when passing.  I neither honk nor flash my lights as I cruise past in the passing lane.  I leave ample space and pass when safe.  I ride like I drive, I guess, so if you're bothered by someone passing you six+ feet away, you've got real issues.

I generally do run my blinky lights all the time now, but I also run into folks who get irritated at a front blinky in the daytime as they approach.  People are people, and we love to beotch!