Ditto

Airehead

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Isn’t ditto the same as mimeograph?

No, mimeograph had to be typed as a stencil and black ink when in the drum.  Ditto was sold as ink less because the ink was actually in the ditto master and you could write or draw on them.  Machine just had the toxic, flammable liquid. 

Just now, Airehead said:

No, mimeograph had to be typed as a stencil and black ink when in the drum.  Ditto was sold as ink less because the ink was actually in the ditto master and you could write or draw on them.  Machine just had the toxic, flammable liquid. 

We used to call the blue stuff mimeograph, but I guess we were wrong. 

40 minutes ago, smudge said:

Why did we love that smell so much??!! I don't know why, but we did.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Machine just had the toxic, flammable liquid. 

I guess toxic chemicals smell good...

The duplicating fluid typically consisted of a 50/50 mix of isopropanol and methanol, both of which were inexpensive, readily available in quantity, evaporated quickly, and would not wrinkle the paper.

In 1938,[7] a nonflammable solvent was invented by Johan Bjorksten to allow the possibility of using electrically driven machines without the concern of the flammability of pure methyl/ethyl alcohol. "A composition composed of 10% of trichlorofluoromethane and 90% of a mixture of 50% methyl alcohol, 40% ethyl alcohol, 5% water and 5% of ethylene glycol mono-ethyl ether.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I remember running off dittoes or having my senior aides do it.  Eventually we switched to photocopies.  They didn't smell as good.

What year was this?  In 1988 we had both copier and ditto.  You could make all the dittos you wanted but you were limited to 50 copies a month.

16 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What year was this?  In 1988 we had both copier and ditto.  You could make all the dittos you wanted but you were limited to 50 copies a month.

This. I started teaching in 1993. I made dittos of everything. In addition to the smell, they were cool to the touch. Students liked that “just printed freshness.” 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, roadsue said:

This. I started teaching in 1993. I made dittos of everything. In addition to the smell, they were cool to the touch. Students liked that “just printed freshness.” 

Did you keep them safely with tissue between the dittos so you could use them again next year?

5 hours ago, Airehead said:

Did you have books like this?  Ditto Master books were important and we hoarded them.s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I didn’t have pre-inked materials. But I did get to use the heat transfer machine with my originals. And I made a hella stack of transparencies for the overhead projector. I saved the extra laminating film that got cut to give to students with a dry erase marker so they could share out their own answers on the overhead. That was high-tech sustainably back in the day.

• Awesome 1