8/18 miles & such

Parsnip Totin Jack

24 early morning miles. Started at 5:20 in Vienna at the LBS. Rode west on the bike trail for about 4 miles, then left the trail and rode back roads. Quiet and dark at the start but the sun came up on schedule. It’s really nice to observe the transition. Good route of rolling hills through quiet subdivisions with only an occasional car. Back at the LBS in 90 minutes. 

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Is that "vee-enna" or "vy-enna"?

VIenna NY is pronounced the second way, by the locals....:rolleyes:

Vee-enna here in VA. The doctor who renamed the Town Vienna from Ayr Hill, was from New York State and liked the Vienna name. The townspeople changed  the name so he’d stay and the town would finally have a doctor.

The usual 1 1/2 miles with the dogs.    29 miles on the bike.

I found my Garmin HR chest strap and the speed/cadence sensor were able to pair with my new watch.  I wasn't sure that would happen considering the chest strap and s/c sensor were purchased back with my Garmin 800.

At the end of the ride... my old Garmin 800 told me I had climbed 433 feet.  (its flat here).   My new watch told me I climbed 1450 feet.  That's not correct.    Now I get to change some settings on the watch for calibration/use of the altimeter and barometer.    More reading..  I think I have it figured out.  I'll see what happens after my next ride on my road bike.

• Heart 3

6 on the commute. Between school starting and some road construction routing more traffic to roads I have to cross, the morning commute is getting challenging. 
26.3 on the group ride tonight. Beautiful weather. I am on the edge of a cold. My speed was decent, but wasn’t feeling that zippy. 

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

My new watch told me I climbed 1450 feet.

Each time you swing your arm, it gains probably 6" to 12" of altitude.  Repeat that over 1 1/2 miles, and it adds up! :D

21 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL and I did 30.5 flat miles on the tandem. Very good weather.

Same here (30 miles, but noo tandem and no flats :D ) and the weather was great.  But that made it busy out there as well.  The upside to bad weather is fewer folks.

• Heart 1