Mr. McFeely

MoseySusan

5 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Odd name for a character in a children’s story? 

It's kinda strange that I had never noticed that before, but when I saw your post I thought to myself that it sounds like a cover for  Wicked Uncle Ernie from the Who song...

Then I opened the post and you had noticed the same thing

3 hours ago, Further said:

It's kinda strange that I had never noticed that before, but when I saw your post I thought to myself that it sounds like a cover for  Wicked Uncle Ernie from the Who song...

Then I opened the post and you had noticed the same thing

Speedy delivery.

• Haha 1

A lot of names seem out of place.

When poor kid me with a barely running car got the thrill of a '68 Camaro in 1971 for $800 from my cousin to commute to college with, a bunch my college friends and I took a Saturday drive in it, the first week I had it, up to the Lancaster, PA area to see all the Amish Country stuff, planning to be respectful of their religion and polite, etc. That was hard to do after we drove through little towns called "Intercourse," "Bird in Hand," "Blue Ball," and "Fertility." We did the Amish Market and rode the train used in the movie "Hello Dolly" at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

Then, of course, there's Adolph's Meat Tenderizer.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

A lot of names seem out of place.

When poor kid me with a barely running car got the thrill of a '68 Camaro in 1971 for $800 from my cousin to commute to college with, a bunch my college friends and I took a Saturday drive in it, the first week I had it, up to the Lancaster, PA area to see all the Amish Country stuff, planning to be respectful of their religion and polite, etc. That was hard to do after we drove through little towns called "Intercourse," "Bird in Hand," "Blue Ball," and "Fertility." We did the Amish Market and rode the train used in the movie "Hello Dolly" at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg.

Then, of course, there's Adolph's Meat Tenderizer.

I’ve ridden that train and been to the markets in Lancaster and in Philadelphia. Bought a decorative chain of tin work stars at Lancaster. 

Watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood as a child, I didn’t think twice about that name. Except that his wife’s makeup and wig couldn’t hide her stunning youth. 

• Heart 1

McFeely is Mr Rogers middle name.  :nodhead:  He got the name from his mother's family name.

The  video clip below explains what the character's name was originally and why it changed.

Rogers was born on March 20, 1928, in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, about 40 miles (64 km) outside of Pittsburgh, at 705 Main Street[2] to James and Nancy Rogers. James was "a very successful businessman"[3] who was president of the McFeely Brick Company, one of Latrobe's largest businesses. Nancy's father, Fred Brooks McFeely, after whom Rogers was named, was an entrepreneur.[4]

• Heart 1