Sometimes it’s really difficult to restrain the Sarcasmatron

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

Stupid, little plastic parts that require at least three programs and four setups.

”How many do you want?”

”36.....but could I have 12 first?”

.......”Yes, because I’d enjoy doing four setups twice and twice the opportunity to fuck something up....”😑

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

was going to be my suggestion - but along the do 36, show 12, then when all is good, take a nap and hand over the rest.

That’s about how it’ll probably go. Half the time, I do them all anyway, and then they sit on the bench for two days until someone picks them up. 🙄

He doesn’t understand that it takes X amount of time to do the first 12 and then about 10% longer to do all the rest. Any “savings” by hurrying up on the first ones is subsequently obliterated by the setup time for the rest.

Ive also seen him make a face when I make a fexture for something because he doesn’t get that the initial investment in the fexture is more than offset by the savings when it comes to actually doing the job. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Not a word!

Yes it is. It’s in the Stanley dictionary*. (My spell checker doesn’t even choke on it anymore).

*Stanley needed a spell checker on his engraving software. Somewhere at my previous employer are a “Wax Assembly Fexture”, a die belonging to “Lockhead Martin” and one belonging to “Genneal Electric”🤣

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yes it is. It’s in the Stanley dictionary*. (My spell checker doesn’t even choke on it anymore).

*Stanley needed a spell checker on his engraving software. Somewhere at my previous employer are a “Wax Assembly Fexture”, a die belonging to “Lockhead Martin” and one belonging to “Genneal Electric”🤣

Now you're just spewing all sorts of nonsense!

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

They produce the boards by panel and keep the rest around for when you come back for more. 

I pretty much always make more than he asks for - particularly small stuff. It keeps him from coming back for more, when he loses one, or three*.  

Any time he tells me to make a few of something, “because he wants to try it”, I always figure on having to make a bunch more in the future and plan accordingly. I also try to make my setups and programs as “modular” as possible, so that when he interrupts what I’m doing for something else, it’s easy to switch back and forth.

*I made these little plastic pieces that I have to press fit two nuts in. The nuts come in bags of ten. Each batch, I kept ending up with one odd nut leftover. I finally said “I use these in even numbers, I can’t understand why I keep ending up with one odd one...” He said “Oh, I dropped one under my desk”. I handed him the odd one and told him to throw that one under his desk, too....:whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

This is what many electronic board houses do.  They produce the boards by panel and keep the rest around for when you come back for more.  This can lead to some funny occurances.

1.  I needed to purchase an additional 6 complex flex cables.  The gentleman on the phone stated $18,000 for the six or he could sell me the whole panel of 10 at 1,500 each.  Without batting an eye I agreed with him that we could probably use the spares and that we would take the 10.  I thought I heard a gasp at the other end when he was typing the order.  :P

2.  Jet Propulsion Labs called us in a panic stating that they had accidently burned out 18 "space qualified" heater elements on one of our lasers during the integration test of the satellite.  They knew that they were about an 18 month lead time item because of the stringent qualification requirements.  My boss asked me to see what I could do as he routinely touted my ability to find, fix or magically wave my hands on the internet.  That afternoon I sent an email to the people at JPL stating that they should ask for xxxxx tomorrow morning at their incoming materials department.  They were thrilled.  My boss asked what sort of magic had happened.  It seems that the manufacturer of the heaters had made a couple of spare panels and as part of the contract had given them to JPL who had stored them in some excess material crib.  The location of those parts was available on the internet during a part number search (pre google days).  I was working for my company as a temp contractor at the time.  They hired me full time the following week.  :nodhead:

More than once, I've tried to explain to my boss that buying a half panel of boards on an overnight turn, then another panel and a half on 5 days is a waste of time and money.  My vendors don't even pretend anymore.  I have actually hidden a"second order" in my lab for a couple days

• Envious 1