Everesting, Anyone?

2Far

The best article I have read by someone who Everested was by Lori Hoechlin.  The article was in Bicycling Magazine a few years ago.  She was vacationing in France, a friend suggested she try, and she chose Alpe Huez for the effort.  She wore out a pair of shorts during the ride and bought a new pair of shorts at the village at the top.  She was facing a time limit on her bike computer toward the end, but she got the necessary elevation within the battery life.  I got to meet Lori on the LA Wheelmen Grand Tour later that year in June.  She was riding the lowland double century route with George Vargas (I think it was 2016 or 2017).

I cant see myself ever trying this, but, I said the same thing about never imagining I would ride a double century, so......

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

The best article I have read by someone who Everested was by Lori Hoechlin.  The article was in Bicycling Magazine a few years ago.  She was vacationing in France, a friend suggested she try, and she chose Alpe Huez for the effort.  She wore out a pair of shorts during the ride and bought a new pair of shorts at the village at the top.  She was facing a time limit on her bike computer toward the end, but she got the necessary elevation within the battery life.  I got to meet Lori on the LA Wheelmen Grand Tour later that year in June.  She was riding the lowland double century route with George Vargas (I think it was 2016 or 2017).

I cant see myself ever trying this, but, I said the same thing about never imagining I would ride a double century, so......

I've done 4 double century rides or longer but they were really flat. Years ago I did a century ride that had over 11,000 feet of climbing and it was harder than the doubles. It didn't help that the cue sheet was wrong and at mile 100 there was 8 more hilly miles to go.

Recently the first woman to ride the entire Katy Trail (240 miles of gravel) in one day happened. 

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I've done 4 double century rides or longer but they were really flat. Years ago I did a century ride that had over 11,000 feet of climbing and it was harder than the doubles. It didn't help that the cue sheet was wrong and at mile 100 there was 8 more hilly miles to go.

Recently the first woman to ride the entire Katy Trail (240 miles of gravel) in one day happened. 

11,000 ft of climbing is a quality ride, especially for a century. The double century with the least amount of climbing I have done is the Grand Tour lowland, which currently has about 4000 ft of gain. I would have to look to see what DC that I have done has the most gain.  Probably either the Central Coast of Carmel Valley DCs.  

Central Coast DC had 196 miles and 13,760 ft of elev gain

Carmel Valley DC had 201.9 miles and 13,392 of elev gain.

• Heart 1