Milk in Wax Cartons, Other Rare Items and plentiful stuff

MickinMD

A rambling discouirse on today's shopping, with some highly recommended items:

For some reason, I decided to grab two quarts of Fat Free Half & Half in 6-weeks-expiration-date wax cartons at Aldi even though it cost 6 cents less at my next stop - where it turned out there weren't any wax cartons of milk or half and half except several of chocolate milk and an expired (Aug 17 2020) half gallon of whole milk, which means they must have put it on the shelf around the beginning of July.  I'm staying a about a week or two ahead of my milk needs, but I'm getting worried about  finding long-refrigerated-shelf-life wax carton milk.

I hadn't had Costco's big (4 lb+) Chicken Pot Pie (enough for four very big servings for about $17) for months and decided to get it today. For the first time I can remember, there was none. I was told it would back in "late Fall."  I got 2 lb+ of pre-baked pork ribs you can bake or nuke with containers of BBQ sauce and got "loaded" potato salad to go with it - that should last a couple days.

A lot of stores are short of diced tomatoes - my cousins in Newark, NJ, and Wilkes-Barre and Bristol (Philadelphia suburb), PA say the same thing.  I found plenty of 8-packs of Contadina 15 oz. diced tomatoes (regular, not "Italian," etc.) at Costco for $6.99 and I grabbed them figuring correctly they'd be out at Aldi (49 cents a can when they're in).

I shopped at a Walmart last week and was stunned at how empty shelves were in the canned veggies aisles. Most of the supermarkets nearby are in pretty good shape - except for diced tomatoes, small cans of Bush's baked beans, and a few other things.

I also went to Wegman's incredibly huge supermarket in Crofton, MD for maybe the first time in 2020 - a half hour drive so I don't shop there often.  They had NO Wegman's store-brand ice cream in stock and I love their cheap pints of "Under the Boardwalk" (caramel ice cream with  sea salt caramel swirls and sea salt chocolate caramel truffles) and "Banana Peel-n" (Banana Base with Fudge Ripples, Marshmallow Swirls and tiny chocolate covered peanut butter cups).

My main reason for going to Wegman's was to see if they had any more of their 2' x 1.5' x 9' insulated bags that zip all the way across the top.  They had plenty for $9.99 ea. (normally $13.79) and I got 2.  I had been trying to stuff all my refrigerated shopping in one such bag that was in the car during my house fire and it's not enough. So now I'm good.

Wegmans Hot or Cold Thermal Tote, Medium | WegmansWegmans Hot or Cold Thermal Tote, Small | Wegmans

They did have plenty of their Wegman's store brand huge bags of Potato Chips, 2 for $3, and I love their loaded-with seasoning Sour Cream and Onion and Parmesan and Garlic Chips.  They should last me a month or more.

Wegmans also had plenty of their take-home-and-bake type meals. I got 1 lb of sesame chicken and lo mein (tonight's dinner) and plenty of their marinaded meats in bags where you can bake them in the oven right in the sealed plastic bag.  I got a BBQ marinaded pork shoulder (3 lb) and 3 lb of chicken cacciatore which will be good for at least 4 big pasta meals.  They're not cheap (around $7 - $8/lb and the marinade cuts the meat quantity down) but they're worth it for great taste and texture.

Wegmans also had the Jones Farm precooked chicken sausages (a little bigger than Brown N' Serve but half the calories at 30/link. They're pretty good, though you have to nuke them longer at 50% power.  Since they had them in 40 link bags vs 72 at Costco, I bought a bag since I'm running out.  But then I got to Costco and they had the wonderful 54-link refrigerated packages of Amylu precooked chicken sausage that a nice and round like regular sausage, taste like excellent pork sausage, and are 33 calories/link vs Brown N Serves 60. So I got a bag of them and froze them - they nuke great from frozen on full power.  Brown N Serve turkey sausage links (30 Cal) are awful unless you're cutting them into little pieces to through into scrambled eggs, etc.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Further said:

I prefer milk in wax cartons but haven't seen any in years.

Cartons are wax coated: False

Cartons do not contain any wax and have not for many years. Modern cartons are made mainly from paper. Gable-top (or refrigerated) cartons contain additional layers of plastic, while aseptic (or shelf-stable) cartons contain additional layers of plastic and aluminum.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:
Cartons are wax coated: False

Cartons do not contain any wax and have not for many years. Modern cartons are made mainly from paper. Gable-top (or refrigerated) cartons contain additional layers of plastic, while aseptic (or shelf-stable) cartons contain additional layers of plastic and aluminum.

Huh.

What ever they are made of, they seemed to keep the milk fresher. I think cause they totally block the light.

• Heart 3

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

I love those Wegman’s bags. 

I don't have insulated ones, but similar canvas ones are what I've been using for about ten years. I got one free from Eukanuba dog food and one as a premium for a charity. I've been using them long enough that they're starting to get worn out,  SO used one as a template and made me a third one.