Do You Have A "Crazy Uncle" or Aunt

Razors Edge

...who is the one you can't or don't or begrudgingly invite to weddings, funerals, birthdays, etc., because s/he will totally blow up the event with inappropriate actions?

Or maybe you're the one? 

We've got a couple drinkers in family who can approach the line (and cross it), but thankfully, if there's a solemn event like a funeral, all are welcome, all can speak, and all are respectful of the dead. It saddens me when I think of families who don't have that going on.

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

For all I know, I do, but I’m pretty sure they’re all dead.

But even if I did, I don’t have that problem because I don’t go to “weddings, funerals, birthdays....”

I got you  penciled in for my funeral.  Aiming for 2055 at the earliest, so keep your calendar open after that year.  It will give you some time to collect your thoughts, memories, and funny quotes from me over the years to deliver in the eulogy.

Not really.  We had an aunt who'd make us crazy because she'd want to discuss things forever  but would never take any advice.  Then she'd want to discuss it all over again the next day.  If you made lunch plans, they'd be numerous calls to discuss whether you should change the time, or the meet up arrangements or whatever.  But she had a good heart and would do anything for her family, so we'd make a lot of accommodations for her.  She wouldn't do anything inappropriate at an event, but she'd require a lot of maintenance.

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

she had a good heart

Yeah - not those folks.  More the  opposite.  Maybe insanely narcissistic or just mean-spirited.  Make the funeral or wedding about "them" or ruin it for others?  Such that folks would consider the pros/cons of not inviting a family member or the like to a big event even though in a "normal" situation, that person would automatically be included.

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

OTOH, life may just be cruel enough to let me see 95.

When you were a kid, did 100 seem impossible or did it seem like a guarantee?  I gotta say, at some point in my youth, I was sure we'd be living way past 100 regularly.  As I hit the halfway point, that seems incredibly naive :D

Not really which is somewhat amazing as my Mom was the youngest of 14 and my Dad had 2 brothers. All were solid, sensible people. Obviously this isn't a genetic trait...

My Mon had one brother who was as athlete and wanted a son. Nine daughters later, they finally had a boy. He wasn't much into athletics; however the girls were tall and strong. There were a many years where 4 sisters would be in the starting lineup of their high school basketball and volleyball teams.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

When you were a kid, did 100 seem impossible or did it seem like a guarantee?

I don't know that I ever even thought about it. When I was 13, my grandfather died, but he was "old". I had no real concept of what "73" meant, just that he was old.

So when my dad died when I was 23. it hit me like a ton of bricks. I mean, he was "old" but he wasn't old.

The men in my family are all pretty chill. I have a freaking crazed aunt who was a major pita.  My mom and all of the women of her generation couldn’t stand her. She’d pick fights and argue over everything.  Amazingly she’s still alive and still raising hell where as everyone else of her generation has passed. Amazingly my uncle is still kicking too!

My sister, the one we refer to as bitch sister is the one for our generation.  We planned a family picture & lunch months in advance.  We took reasonable Covid precautions.  She said I’m not coming, I have better things to do. Fine... As much as it would have been nice to have everyone together we did have a better time without her causing drama.

11 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I don't know that I ever even thought about it. When I was 13, my grandfather died, but he was "old". I had no real concept of what "73" meant, just that he was old.

So when my dad died when I was 23. it hit me like a ton of bricks. I mean, he was "old" but he wasn't old.

You didn't also think about things like "flying cars", "planetary exploration", and "cure for all diseases"?  Like - look into the not-too-distant future (your future when a kid) and try to think how 2000 or 2020 or 2050 would look?

13 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Mine died at 54 when I was 10.  I never expected to outlive him.  Here I am 20 years later with no remaining goals in life other than waking up tomorrow,

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You didn't also think about things like "flying cars", "planetary exploration", and "cure for all diseases"?  Like - look into the not-too-distant future (your future when a kid) and try to think how 2000 or 2020 or 2050 would look?

Nope. Mostly I thought about how to GTFO of the house and away from my mother.

My brother may be going down that path.  He gets progressively more RWNJ each year.   I do not talk politics with him.  Just a quick diversion into BBQ or guns or Texas football usually does the trick.

My mohter's brother,  Uncle Charles was the crazy uncle until he passed.  Craziness in the sharr clan manifests itself politically.

My SIL's mother actually left not only the table, but the house over politics a few years back.