I learned a new thing today

jsharr

30 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Hummingbirds eat bugs!  I did not know this.  A friend posted a video of her humming bird visitor catching a bug in flight.  I thought they just drank nectar.  

I saw a hummingbird eat a gnat.  I was sitting on the front porch, enjoying a cocktail and watching a hummingbird suck sap off a pine tree.  He came down surprisingly close to me and hovered.  Then, he zipped over and pick a gnat out of the air.  It was pretty cool.

It sorta makes cents that they can eat bugs.  They need a source of protein to build muscle just like any other animal.

I noticed that hummingbirds take a piss or dump just before going to a hummingbird feeder. One day I was outside near one of the feeders and the sunlight was just right to see a 'spray' just before they hit the feeder. It happened 3 times out of 3 landings. Of course being hummingbirds, there wasn't much excreted. Thankfully geese can't hover. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I saw a hummingbird eat a gnat.  I was sitting on the front porch, enjoying a cocktail and watching a hummingbird suck sap off a pine tree.  He came down surprisingly close to me and hovered.  Then, he zipped over and pick a gnat out of the air.  It was pretty cool.

It sorta makes cents that they can eat bugs.  They need a source of protein to build muscle just like any other animal.

You could fill a hummingbird feeder with a protein shake, like MuscleMilk, no?

21 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I noticed that hummingbirds take a piss or dump just before going to a hummingbird feeder. One day I was outside near one of the feeders and the sunlight was just right to see a 'spray' just before they hit the feeder. It happened 3 times out of 3 landings. Of course being hummingbirds, there wasn't much excreted. Thankfully geese can't hover. 

They can, but not for very long at all.

35 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Ever seen a heron lighten the load on takeoff? :blink:

I was on my motorcycle once and had one take off across in front of me. All I could think was “thank god I wasn’t a few seconds ahead....”:wacko:

Yes. Also I once worked at a place that had a pond frequented by Canadian geese. They often took off between two buildings and lighten their loads on the same section of the parking lot. You did NOT want to park your car there.