I just found out a dude off my high school basketball team just died

Dottleshead

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you go to your high school reunion you will find out about a bunch of dead classmates.

I went to the 10 and 20 year.  That's enough.This death -- while I didn't even really know the guy much -- wait he did play on our soccer team too -- no wonder I'm bummed.  Can we just be honest here? Death fucking sucks.

• Hugs 2

Death is a loss...death of someone you know or younger than you brings you that much closer to your own pending mortality ..and let's face it we all are "pending mortality". Yesterday, one of my residents died...and one of my residents lost a 72 year old son..suddenly. 

We can do our bit to be healthy, exercise, and eat well but we are still gonna die. We don't have much say in it. I use to monitor my health and do my best to live longer than my mom...She was 55 so I succeeded that. My next goal is to age gracefully...how much longer :dontknow: We don't  know..look at some of our past members who died suddenly....and young!

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

There is something called the “The Quaker Art of Dying”  My version is---One should approach death with their affairs in order, a  sense of peace, and a curiosity toward the unknown.  So since one never knows when they will be called home, we should live simple lives with our affairs in order, strive for daily peace and learn as much as possible about everything as we live.

• Heart 1

Just now, Airehead said:

There is something called the “The Quaker Art of Dying”  My version is---One should approach death with their affairs in order, a  sense of peace, and a curiosity toward the unknown.  So since one never knows when they will be called home, we should live simple lives with our affairs in order, strive for daily peace and learn as much as possible about everything as we live.

Sheeot, I'll never get my affairs in order. :(  The rest sounds pretty good though. :D

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Sorry, you will hear me screaming Noooooooo

I had big HS class, and if you add in the folks a year ahead or behind who were also in my orbit, that's a lot of folks who could be dead or dying by now :(

The biggest shock I had was going into the 20th (?) reunion time period, where invitations were on-line, and folks were RSVPing, and I noticed the event was "dedicated" to one of my best friends from HS who I drifted away from in college.  That was a pretty sad way to find out his life had gone south since college.  In fact, I should have suspected as much as the reason I didn't hang out with him much during the college years (other than being in different states for college), was that when we did hang out over summer break or whatever, he was always headed towards getting drunk and was a miserable and depressing drunk.  It was not fun to be around.  If I was going to get drunk or hang with drunk friends, I was opting for the "fun" drunks who had parties and cool people and music and ladies and pig roasts! Anyway, after moving away and getting a job and not returning to the old neighborhood anymore, I lost contact and that reunion was where I found the sad news about him :(  I never went to a reunion beyond the 5 year one, so maybe/probably there are far more stories like that.