F_in Ray Of Sunshine

9 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

“Did you ride a bike?”

”Yes”

”Where is it?”

<points toward grinding room>

”That’s a nice one! How much did it cost?”

GAAAH!

I can't stand questions like that.  Especially around lunch time.  "did you fix that?, what is it?  What's in it, why???"

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I can't stand questions like that.  Especially around lunch time.  "did you fix that?, what is it?  What's in it, why???"

It’s tolerable, but at lunchtime LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE! I walk in the cemetery because DEAD PEOPLE DON’T TALK!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Your chance to tell him some outrageous amount. :D

Nah, he doesn’t care what the answer is.

That would work with my former cow-orkers, though. I know, because I used it to my advantage many times. I made a phony invoice for a $10k TT bike and buried in a stack of papers on the desk, with only the top of the page sticking out (with the logo from the shop I worked). I knew my nosy nemesis would snoop and find it and take off gossiping about it. It was almost too easy. 

• Haha 3

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I was looking at that one, but went w/ the CAAD X.

Bastards came out with the Topstone Carbon with the rear “suspension” this year. :angry: It also has the ability to run wider tires and 700c wheels. It also has a “normal” stem, so I’d have more options.

Only problem with the Lefty is that it greatly limits wheel choices. Project 321 are about the only ones who make a hub for it. Chris King used to, but don’t anymore.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Meh, I could tell him I sold a kidney to pay for it and it wouldn’t faze him. It’s no fun.

OTOH, I used to deliberately inflate the price of every bike I bought to one of my former cow-orkers who was as cheap as the day is long. He got ranting about it one day and I said to him (a smoker) “Don’t think of it as an expensive bike. Think of it as about five years worth of cigarettes”. He took off like a bottle rocket.

You are a professional fuse lighter. :D

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

You are a professional fuse lighter. 

The guy who used to run the machine next to him was my accomplice. I used to bring bike catalogs in and give them to him. He’d look at them and then show Billy one and say “FROS is getting one of these. It costs $X....” 

He’d start barking like a chihuahua. “MUST BE FUCKIN’ NICE.....”

He was in large part a victim of his own stupid choices. When he got divorced, he was too cheap to hire a lawyer.....so his ex took him to the cleaners. He refused to squander any money on dental care - thus the nickname “Unitooth”....

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Meh, I could tell him I sold a kidney to pay for it and it wouldn’t faze him. It’s no fun.

OTOH, I used to deliberately inflate the price of every bike I bought to one of my former cow-orkers who was as cheap as the day is long. He got ranting about it one day and I said to him (a smoker) “Don’t think of it as an expensive bike. Think of it as about five years worth of cigarettes”. He took off like a bottle rocket.

I did that with a guy about 15 years ago, in Florida (with no state income tax but high sin taxes) and IIRC it only took 2 years of 2 packs a day to pay for a new bike.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You should have bought him a bike to ride.  I know you have more of them.

I would because it would be way easier to put a hurtin on him on a bike than it is walking. There’s a couple of hills that would make him question his existence.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I did that with a guy about 15 years ago, in Florida (with no state income tax but high sin taxes) and IIRC it only took 2 years of 2 packs a day to pay for a new bike.

One of my former cow-orkers was giving me shit about my bikes, and I said “wait a minute....how much do you have tied up in guns, bows, ammo, fishing gear, licenses....boat...truck...trailer....?”

He said “that’s different” I said “No it isn’t. That’s what you do, this is what I do”.

To his credit, he thought about it and then agreed.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I would because it would be way easier to put a hurtin on him on a bike than it is walking. There’s a couple of hills that would make him question his existence.

Your work place definitely has hills.  I remember cursing the one that goes way up to a field which is where we spent the night on the Erie Canal tour.  It was raining like an inch an hour one year when I did it.  We rode up, got our gear and then went and slept int he hotel at the bottom of the hill.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

One of my former cow-orkers was giving me shit about my bikes, and I said “wait a minute....how much do you have tied up in guns, bows, ammo, fishing gear, licenses....boat...truck...trailer....?”

I always ask them how much they paid for their four wheelers or snowmobiles. That’s not even considering what their Harley cost.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I always ask them how much they paid for their four wheelers or snowmobiles. That’s not even considering what their Harley cost.

“I don’t hunt, I don’t fish, I don’t smoke, I don’t gamble, I don’t hang out in bars, I don’t have a boat or a camper, or a snowmobile....I gotta do something....”

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You just have to outlast him!  Pull a Putin and offer him some tea!

Different excuse, every day. 

I hope I don’t have to stoop to taking up running.

(Nice of him to just come in and point out it was time for me to go, though....🙄)