8/21 miles & such

Old No. 7

Morning ride with Carol. Start time is pushed back to 7 am, I usually start around 5:30. We repeated the Great Falls route as she had not done that route before. Traffic wasn’t too bad for the hour, more than at 5:30-6:00 but not bad for a summer morning in this area. The park rangers were manning the booth and wanted $10 each to enter the park. Eff that, I’ll come back while you’re sleeping Mr Ranger. 750 feet climbed, which is good for 16 miles. I like hills. 

• Like 3
  • Envious 1

7 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Morning ride with Carol. Start time is pushed back to 7 am, I usually start around 5:30. We repeated the Great Falls route as she had not done that route before. Traffic wasn’t too bad for the hour, more than at 5:30-6:00 but not bad for a summer morning in this area. The park rangers were manning the booth and wanted $10 each to enter the park. Eff that, I’ll come back while you’re sleeping Mr Ranger. 750 feet climbed, which is good for 16 miles. I like hills. 

No park pass?  And were you on road bikes?  I had thought you were riding in on the trails and not down the entrance road.  It would be easy enough to jump on the carriage road to bypass the rangers, but after 7am, I wouldn't  want to be on Georgetown Pike!  The ridge trail (just past the intersection into the park), though, would also allow bikes and could bypass the rangers - Ridge to Old Carriage to overlooks.

But you're generally riding on the road on these Great Falls rides? Not the CCT?

No park pass with me, I usually don’t carry it. The one I do have expired in April and I haven’t renewed it. Next year, I buy my last one as I can buy Golden Access lifetime pass! We are on road bikes. I park in Vienna next to the trail. Carol lives in Vienna and rides down. We have several routes to the park. Today we took back roads. Creek Crossing to Old Courthouse back to Trap Rd. Past the Barns, Wolftrap etc. cross Rt 7. Take Towlston to Peacock Station to Old Dominion. Ride up OD, cross Georgetown Pike at the light and into the park. Georgetown Pike is busy AF that time of day, I wouldn’t ride much on that road, but the others are good. Coming from Razorlandia, on the W&OD, turn left at the little gazebo thing and ride up Meadowlark to Beulah to Trap. Or take Clark’s Crossing by the soccer field up to Beulah to Trap. Traffic isn’t bad early.

• Like 2