WTF

BR46

I wondered down to the corner bar for a beer when I see...... 

A I see a local lady who just got out of the hospital 2 months ago. She had a liver transplant and heart surgery.

Sarah was drinking wine and not just a little sip. I'm talking several glasses and gets up and goes outside for a cigarette. Never mind that you just spent the last year in and out of the hospital and mouths in ICU waiting for a liver. 

I think that you would cherish life a little more when you get a second chance. 

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

A I see a local lady who just got out of the hospital 2 months ago. She had a liver transplant and heart surgery.

Sarah was drinking wine and not just a little sip. I'm talking several glasses and gets up and goes outside for a cigarette. Never mind that you just spent the last year in and out of the hospital and mouths in ICU waiting for a liver. 

I think you’re seeing why she was where she ended up.

• Heart 3

15 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I knew a guy like that. 

He’s dead now. 

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think you’re seeing why she was where she ended up.

The funny thing is that she doesn't look her age.  I think Sarah 35 or 36 but looks like she's 60

• Sad 1

When I worked transplant I hated the recipient part.  I hated hearing about them, why they were on the list, how they did post op.  Sure, every now and then you had the young mom of 3 that got some rare disease, got a transplant and went on to live a normal life raising her family.  But that's not the norm.  Lots of people that have destroyed their lives and health by their own hand.  The alcoholic that ruined his liver, got hep C in jail for armed robbery, and has to wait to get listed until his systemic infection from IV drug use is treated.  That seems to be more the norm.  I quit asking questions about the recipients, I just didn't want to know.

• Sad 5

It is a conundrum for sure.  My solution would be to first make organ donation the default, not the exception for all folks.  That might increase available organs a bit (but surely not enough).  Clearly, though, active addiction would be a no-brainer as a no go situation, but we KNOW addictions like alcoholism are LIFE-LONG, not simple "get over it" situations, so she may have been "dry" long enough to get the organ but too addicted to stay dry after the transplant.  Assuming an organ has a "window" of usefulness for transplantation and a fairly short list of "matched recipients", I'm always gonna opt for "give it to the Sarahs of the world" rather than throw it away.  Did her organ come to her instead of a far better candidate or was she the best match for success? Or best recipient (alcoholic vs some other negative issue)?

I bet doctors and organ donor committees really struggle with developing a good process to both maximize outcomes and cover great need with scarce resources.  It sucks the Sarahs of the world can't maximize their second chance, but you never know, she may yet pull it together.

• Heart 1

On 8/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, BR46 said:

I think Sarah 35 or 36 but looks like she's 60

There was a woman I used to work with. Cute....damned cute. She left there quite a while ago.

One day, I was on my way into the LGS. I saw a woman I vaguely recognized, but I couldn’t place her. A few days later, I saw her again...and it hit me: “OMG, that’s ——!” She looked like absolute shit. If you dragged her behind your car for about three miles, she wouldn’t look that bad.

About a week later, there she was on the front page of the paper: busted for heroin and meth.🙁

• Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

AND STILL ALIVE!!!!! :cheerleader:

It's hard to suggest anything has been wasted on him if he is still kicking!

What lesbian couple was it that picked him for a sperm donor?  Melissa Etheridge, maybe? Anyhoo, WHAT were they thinking?  When I think of the ideal man, not that i do and also NTTIAWWT, he is snot only not the first one that comes to mind, he NEVER comes to mind!  :D

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

AND STILL ALIVE!!!!! :cheerleader:

It's hard to suggest anything has been wasted on him if he is still kicking!

I was reading his bio at one place I used to work. One of my coworkers asked “Didn’t he kill himself?” I said “No, but it wasn’t for lack of trying....”

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I was reading his bio at one place I used to work. One of my coworkers asked “Didn’t he kill himself?” I said “No, but it wasn’t for lack of trying....”

But, like is he STILL trying? Or is that in his past?

Katie who runs the corner bar called me today because she's having a problem with the beer cooler. Since I built the cooler 20 years ago I know my way around it. 

I come up from the basement and who's sitting at the bar.......you guessed it's Sahra with a glass of wine and a cigarette. When Sahra owned the bar the entire time she was there she had a glass in her hand at all times. 

I guess that when I see people who don't appreciate the second chance that they are given it's a waist.

59 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Alcohol is a poison.  Best to use it sparingly and probably best not to drink alcohol at all.

Just my opinion.

When I go to the corner bar I try to keep my limit to 2 beers and gone. A lot of the drunks that sit there for 4 to 6 hours a day every day have a hard time understanding my limit. 

They think that I'm not trying hard enough. It's sad that this area think that way. If you Google drunkest cities in America most of the cities are in my area. Last time I checked Sheboygan was #12 in the us.

Makes me feel safe riding a bicycle on the streets. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

There was a girl a few years younger than me. She was interested but was enough younger it would have been weird at the least. Very cute though. 
I saw her a few years later after I was married. Beautiful young woman and was still interested based on the flirting. I heard she got into drugs not long after. 
A few years back I was on a call at a dentist’s office and I heard a woman call my name. I looked up and didn’t recognize her. Luckily they had her name and account up in the screen. Same woman. She looked older than my mom! 

• Sad 1