'Cause you have to add nearly another century

shootingstar

I suddenly realized my childhood city has a historic log cabin first school which I used to walk by a long time ago. Now it's 200 yrs. old.

That's the thing when yourself is getting old...now some local buildings are surely over 150-200 yrs. now.

That means my high school (first in county) is now 165 yrs. old.:whistle:  It's still kicking with tons of students and teachers..now struggling over questions of remote online or in-school attendance.

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I suddenly realized my childhood city has a historic log cabin first school which I used to walk by a long time ago. Now it's 200 yrs. old.

That's the thing when yourself is getting old...now some local buildings are surely over 150-200 yrs. now.

That means my high school (first in county) is now 165 yrs. old.:whistle:  It's still kicking with tons of students and teachers..now struggling over questions of remote online or in-school attendance.

Even in the 90's, when I was in my 40's, there were things that were a fundamental part of my younger days that the teenagers I taught or coached had no clue about.

When I taught the physics of circular motion and mentioned a "record player," most of the kids didn't know what one was!

When I spoke of "Old Annapolis Road," I'd get, "Isn't that what they used to call B & A Blvd.?"

The area I grew up in was basically all farms until after WW1 and underwent rapid suburban development after WW2.  Just across the county/city line, there are some buildings going back to the late 1800's inside Baltimore City.

There aren't many really old buildings left standing.  Even so, it's hard to remember a lot of building that were from that time.

There's a private Facebook page called "I Grew Up in Brooklyn Park, Maryland," where some of the members post pictures from the 60's, 50's, and earlier and ask everyone if they can identify the location and time of the picture.  Some are really hard.

Here's the latest one.  It's from the 1950's and but is just inside the city on a major old road, Hanover Street, so the building may go back to the late 1800's.

I don't remember it, but the guy who posted it said, "It's next to Gunning's Crab House."  I can remember BEFORE there was a Gunning's, so Gunning's wasn't next to it at the time the picture.  Gunning's was opened in the 70's by a high school friend's father after we were out of high school.

Image may contain: text that says 'BLARNEY STONE INN 全面咖に CALVERTST. COPYRIGHT (C)2013 BALTIMORE SIGN GARDEN'

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

When I lived in England, you could rent homes that were 300-400 years old. Their idea of what is old is different than ours in the USA.

When in Europe I always thought it was so cool that there were buildings standing that were hundreds of years older than America.

My city came up from farm fields in the 50’s & 60’s so old really is relative.  An old house in my city was built in the 50’s...  What I find cool are the old farm houses that are still standing.  In some cities your will see rows & rows of cookie cutter houses and this beautiful Victorian house!?!!  But if you know our history that was the farm owners home & the cookie cutter homes were once his orange groves.

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

My ex FIL hated the idea that the place he went to school is now a museum and historic landmark....

He's not appreciating that he and all of us, are part of history.  We ourselves have lived through major points in cultural history.  ie. the Internet starting up to spread to every /lay person.

Someone from my childhood city, made the effort to create a Wikipedia entry. So my high school started up...in 1855...  

The prairie city where I live now, didn't even get settled by white folks until 1875 with establishment of Norwest Mounted Police outpost.  So for sure "old" is relative. Alot of stuff, except for First Nations/native Indian, looks recent to me.  

image.thumb.png.0f593ef8433c4ab64a474d06e977e042.png