Deep water wierd fish

shootingstar

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Looks delicious.

I mean, really, how would we know if we hadn't had that plenty of times as fish n chips or fish sticks or as pretty much any "fish" product.  Heck, part of that looks like it could be in calamari! 

What's always fun is when an undercover team goes to restaurants & fish markets across a city, and then compares what is being sold versus what it actually is (via DNA testing).  Pretty big disparity sometimes.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I mean, really, how would we know if we hadn't had that plenty of times as fish n chips or fish sticks or as pretty much any "fish" product.  Heck, part of that looks like it could be in calamari! 

What's always fun is when an undercover team goes to restaurants & fish markets across a city, and then compares what is being sold versus what it actually is (via DNA testing).  Pretty big disparity sometimes.

Um...sometimes I felt that way for certain Chinese restaurant dishes... sea cucumber, etc.

That wierd fish is acutally in same family as skate....which I did try a Portuguese dish. A certain amount of bones/cartilage when I ate it. It was delicious. I think I was 19 yrs... Probably more adventurous food-wise at that age in the 1970's, compared to other peers in a German based community.

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

The McDonald's Franchisee owner who invented Filet O Fish submitted it to McD's and they substituted a cheaper fish - I wonder what we're getting there now?

Here in Maryland, the quality of crabcakes and other crab selections and especially crab imperial can make or break the reputation of the restaurant.  It's always safer here to order broiled crabcakes or steamed crabs than any fish dish when you're in an unfamiliar local restaurant.