Rip-Off Companies

Razors Edge

A few years back, Knog introduced the Oi which was a low profile bike bell.  I have one and it is a good (not great) bell. Definitely nice though as it takes up little real estate while being loud enough in non-city riding.  Anyway, looking at Instagram showed some know-off (bottom image).  I guess that's the way things roll, but I gotta think Knog has a patent on some of the designn???

image.png.449581d133920cd0542dbcaca15c7b5a.png

image.png.8e47b3ec65b6c80bce09d34bebe282d3.png

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A few years back, Know introduced the Oi which was a low profile bike bell.  I have one and it is a good (not great) bell. Definitely nice though as it takes up little real estate while being loud enough in non-city riding.  Anyway, looking at Instagram showed some know-off (bottom image).  I guess that's the way things roll, but I gotta think Knog has a patent on some of the designn???

image.png.449581d133920cd0542dbcaca15c7b5a.png

image.png.8e47b3ec65b6c80bce09d34bebe282d3.png

I haven't seen such a bell design. Actually certain people riding certain bikes, don't have a bell. I guess it's not cool enough for a $$$$$ carbon bike?

Just now, shootingstar said:

I haven't seen such a bell design. Actually certain people riding certain bikes, don't have a bell. I guess it's not cool enough for a $$$$$ carbon bike?

Bell and helmets are neglected across the spectrum of cycling - no one group of riders stands out to me as worse offenders than others.

I will say, as I ride 100s of hours and pass tens of thousands of walkers, runners, cyclists, skateboarders, rollerbladers, etc, a year, the use of verbal warnings and bells/horns to signal a pass has become RIDICULOUSLY diluted by the shear numbers of people absorbed in the "own reality" and totally aloof to the world around them.  Mainly, this is due to headphones which are used by well over half the exercising population of runners (too many cyclists as well), and then those folks just generally self-absorbed and willfully ignorant of sounds around them.

So, while I like and use a bell (that Oi), for MOST situations nowadays, a bell is useless, and likely only an airhorn could stand a chance of pulling folks out of their self-absorption.

56 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Bell and helmets are neglected across the spectrum of cycling - no one group of riders stands out to me as worse offenders than others.

I will say, as I ride 100s of hours and pass tens of thousands of walkers, runners, cyclists, skateboarders, rollerbladers, etc, a year, the use of verbal warnings and bells/horns to signal a pass has become RIDICULOUSLY diluted by the shear numbers of people absorbed in the "own reality" and totally aloof to the world around them.  Mainly, this is due to headphones which are used by well over half the exercising population of runners (too many cyclists as well), and then those folks just generally self-absorbed and willfully ignorant of sounds around them.

So, while I like and use a bell (that Oi), for MOST situations nowadays, a bell is useless, and likely only an airhorn could stand a chance of pulling folks out of their self-absorption.

I have that bell on my Anthem & really like it. They work great on mountain bikes as the shifter is under the bar so you can snug it up on the right grip and it’s in a great spot for your thumb.

i really don’t bother with bells on MUPs as you mentioned they are worthless. Most of the pedestrians are wearing earbuds. But on the trail they work well to get the attention of hikers, on coming riders and I always ding the bell coming around blind turns.  

I have one of those style bells on the AWOL. It blends in well with the handlebar and has a nice tone but not as good as the Spurcycle bell. That’s got a great tone. They’re pricey at $50, but they’re made here in the US. The ring cuts through most headphones on the trail. 

0264CA10-BF61-47E3-9DB4-AB14B1F00F57.jpeg