I don’t understand the attraction to grilling

Randomguy

Unless I’m making satay which requires constant attention I don’t stand at the grill. Low indirect heat and I leave it alone.

Also, burgers & dogs aren’t worth the hassle to set up a bbq and having worked snack bars for years im perfectly fine never flipping another burger on the grill ever again.

• Heart 2

34 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You get to drink beer or a nice summer cocktail while grilling.

I think that in Wisconsin it's a law that you have to have a beer/drink in your hand while grilling. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Why would anyone want to stand in the hot sun around a hot grill and sweat your ass off?

Please explain. 

I'd say fix the "standing in the hot sun" part, and it becomes much more bearable.  I think my dad grilled out almost every day from spring through fall in the last decade of his life.  I feel like he felt most comfortable cooking at a grill than working a stove or oven??? 

I think, at the least, a campfire is a fun version of grilling out for us.  I "get" grilling while camping and think most people would enjoy it.

But yes, some people are a bit too gung-ho about proselytizing about grilling.  But their just a different version of any other person who is oddly gung-ho about something you're not really that into.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Why would anyone want to stand in the hot sun around a hot grill and sweat your ass off?

Please explain. 

Why don't you understand this.

Did someone tell you that grilling was wrong.

Who was it.

When was it.

Where was it.

Don't look over there, look at me.  I want some answers now.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I never noticed it. I scrub the back deck about every third year. I don’t grill a lot of greasy stuff.

image.jpg

It's the smoke that stains.  If is is not a problem for you, that is great.

We noticed it was staining the house paint, so we moved it away from the house.

I love grilling - when someone else is doing it!

I traded an desktop-computer hard drive to my brother-in-law for a grill in the 90's.  It was a gas grill and I rarely used it except when I was having a backyard party. It died in the fire.

There is something to be said for the taste of things that are basted and grilled or grilled over wood/charcoal.

I enjoy cooking, I enjoy it more over the grill. There is a little bit more involvement with lighting the fire, judging when it is ready to cook on, regulating temp with the lid and vents rather than just putting it on "7" Add some wood for smoke flavor, move stuff around to the hot or cool spot.....it occupies your attention

And my grill is in the shade, till it gets cold and then it moves to the sun. And the beer fridge is 6 steps away    :)

• Heart 1

...outdoor grilling provides an opportunity to get all smoky smelling and covered in ash, without the accompanying destruction of life an property of living in the vicinity of a ginormous wildfire. All the mess, all the smoke, with none of the property damage (if you do it right.) 

Luckily for me, for the past week I've been downwind of the mother of all wildfires. So I can stay indoors mostly in the AC, and if I need to get smoky and covered in ash, I can step outdoors briefly.

This is why people move to California, man.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If I can make it in the kitchen, which has all the tools, plus running water, an oven that properly controls the temperature (plus the stove has burners), is out of the sun, has booze, and is cooler, plus is closer to the bathroom, tv, and couch, then why the hell would I want to grill outside?  Plus having to buy a grill, special tools, fuel, etc. etc. etc.

All for some char marks?  I am still not getting this.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

If I can make it in the kitchen, which has all the tools, plus running water, an oven that properly controls the temperature (plus the stove has burners), is out of the sun, has booze, and is cooler, plus is closer to the bathroom, tv, and couch, then why the hell would I want to grill outside?  Plus having to buy a grill, special tools, fuel, etc. etc. etc.

All for some char marks?  I am still not getting this.

And you never will.  Short of having an oversized specialty stove like a Jennair with gas grill, and a matching high flow air exhaust fan system there is no way to duplicate grill cooking indoors.

• Heart 1