If you were going to jump off a bridge, do you have 1 in mind?

Kirbys Not Wild Sister

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

I had a panic attack the last time I drove across it. Normally I am all about looking at the water and boats, and barely paying attention to driving. The last trip across I somehow had it in my head that the steering in the van was going to fail and we were going over the side. I focused on the bumper of the car in front of us and cussed myself up one side, down the other and around the ass twice. My wife was babbling on about something, I didn't want her want her to know the car was being piloted by a seriously compromised individual and tried to respond coherently, it was a hard few minutes.

I'm nervous about what will happen next time.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 3

14 minutes ago, Further said:

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

I had a panic attack the last time I drove across it. Normally I am all about looking at the water and boats, and barely paying attention to driving. The last trip across I somehow had it in my head that the steering in the van was going to fail and we were going over the side. I focused on the bumper of the car in front of us and cussed myself up one side, down the other and around the ass twice. My wife was babbling on about something, I didn't want her want her to know the car was being piloted by a seriously compromised individual and tried to respond coherently, it was a hard few minutes.

You are too important to this operation. Please take a different route. 

Claude

• Heart 3

41 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...this exactly. Go big or go home.

I'd rather go home... 

Back when bungee jumping off of bridges was popular, while we were on vacation WoBG wanted to jump off a bridge.  I told her... have fun, I'll never to that.  She didn't jump.  (I'll never jump out of a perfectly good air plane either.) 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

I personally know someone at work, who has a real fear of heights.  She said when jogging over the Lion's Gate Bridge, she crawled part way.  This is a road bridge with cycling lanes on both sides that connects downtown VAncouver to North Vancouve with the mountains that you see in famous photos.

7 hours ago, Further said:

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Don't worry about your steering wheel failing.  You are much more likely to have an errant ship hit and drop the span you are on or one of the tunnel walls failing while you are inside it.

There, now you're not so worried about your driving eh?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Further said:

had a panic attack the last time I drove across it.

A guy on Rattlecan’s site yesterday was talking about pushing his bike across the Salisbury Viaduct while having a panic attack. I can’t imagine what his ride was like on the GAP with all of the railroad bridges you have to cross between Pittsburgh and Cumberland.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

all of the railroad bridges you have to cross between Pittsburgh and Cumberland.

I was on the fatbike in the summer, riding the snowmobile trail. One section follows the railroad tracks for a couple of miles. There's a gravel road alongside it, but that only goes on for a ways. When it petered out, I got the bright idea to ride the ballast on the side of the tracks. Riding on off-camber gravel turned out to not be such a good idea, So I hopped up and rode between the rails. The cross ties were beating the snot out of me. After a couple of miles of that, I heard water running. "Huh, I don't remember any water near here...." I came up on a railroad trestle about 70' up in the air...only as wide as the tracks....with a thing in between the rails to keep the train from jumping the rails. My choices were: cross the bridge or turn around and re-do all that gravel and cross-tie pounding.

Don't think I ever wore those shorts again.

Doesn't look like much:

image.png.17716b518f68bbce01aeb88c441e7440.png

• Awesome 1

I used to live within sight of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.  I've lost count of how many times I've crossed it.  It, along with 7 mile bridge in the Florida Keys were always my favorite bridges.  On a hazy day it's possible to be out on the bridge and not be able to see land in any direction.   IMO the biggest problem on it and all the other bridge tunnels around Norfolk VA was that entering the tunnels from bright daylight would leave one a bit disoriented  because of the sudden lower level of lighting.  One of the most interesting effects was being in one of the tunnels when a really large ship like a carrier was passing over.  You could hear the big propellers that were not that far above your head.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

D6A9E29C-E913-417D-BD98-269F1AFCBA5C.thumb.jpeg.e2276504cfc6fc9ba85e6543cf2414c0.jpeg

This railroad bridge doesn’t have anything between the ties. Room to fall between them. The ties are getting pretty rotten now too so it’s a scary bridge to cross. The railroad removed the rails when they closed down. I watched some jumpers last year walk out on the top of the I-beam and jump into the lake. 

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I used to live within sight of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.  I've lost count of how many times I've crossed it.  It, along with 7 mile bridge in the Florida Keys were always my favorite bridges.  On a hazy day it's possible to be out on the bridge and not be able to see land in any direction.   IMO the biggest problem on it and all the other bridge tunnels around Norfolk VA was that entering the tunnels from bright daylight would leave one a bit disoriented  because of the sudden lower level of lighting.  One of the most interesting effects was being in one of the tunnels when a really large ship like a carrier was passing over.  You could hear the big propellers that were not that far above your head.

The one I had the panic attack on is the one at the north end of the peninsula, no tunnels but narrow lanes that are tight against the edge of the bridge deck and really high

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

This railroad bridge doesn’t have anything between the ties. Room to fall between them. The ties are getting pretty rotten now too so it’s a scary bridge to cross. The railroad removed the rails when they closed down. I watched some jumpers last year walk out on the top of the I-beam and jump into the lake. 

Did I ever tell the story of a childhood friend convincing me to walk across the Belmar bridge back when it was still in service?  Darn scary with the gaps between the ties!  I can’t remember if a train ever came or I just had nightmares aboot that happening. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Did I ever tell the story of a childhood friend convincing me to walk across the Belmar bridge back when it was still in service?  Darn scary with the gaps between the ties!  I can’t remember if a train ever came or I just had nightmares aboot that happening. 

I was never on the bridge before they made it part of the bike trail. I always looked for where to go if a train come while you are on a bridge. That bridge I posted the picture of has room you can fit between the beams and climb down on the concrete supports. (That’s where the people jump from that are not ready to jump off the top of the beam) There was someone killed by a train on the other bridge over the lake. They had room to get out of the way but fear kept them from trying. It is a bit scary climbing out there on those piers but you have to do what you have to do

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Choose the right spot, and your drop into the water would be pretty tame!  More a step into the water than a jump.

image.png.faa1e344169b77160de123b49c3cbd54.png

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I heard there's one in Tallahatchie that's suitable for jumping.

Exactly what I was thinking, thee are some decent bridges up on the Choctaw Ridge.

I also think this is very interesting- The enigma of her best-known song is nothing compared to that of Bobbie Gentry herself. In the early ’70s, she was riding high—headlining in Vegas, duetting with Glen Campbell on several hits, hosting her own TV series. Then around 1975, after contributing music to a movie based on “Ode,” she simply checked out. She has not been heard from in over 35 years. All requests for interviews, recordings and performances have been denied. She is said to be living in the Los Angeles area.

• Heart 1