Genealogy twist.

groupw

My FIL was a bit racist...until a black family moved in next door. She is a surgeon & he is a stock broker. Cutest kid in the world. Max would come running over to sit on FIL lap. He would get out toys just in case Maxie came over. They stopped by Sunday & she is preggers & due on Wednesday. They loved this neighborhood. 

• Heart 4

27 minutes ago, groupw said:

We have been researching our family history and we kept hitting a dead end at my great, great grandfather. Several months ago, someone on an online site sent my brother a photo of him in his Civil War uniform. He died in the war. 
A few weeks ago, he was contacted by a woman saying she thinks we are 3rd or 4th cousins. My brother and her compared notes and found common ground. There were still some details that were unclear. Here’s the rub; she is Black! In the discussions they found a slave owner who fits plausible timeframes and locations. He had 2 sons with the same first name. 
So we went to look back at the GGGF photo. He could easily be mixed race. We just thought it was an odd exposure that made his skin look so dark, but on further review...

Just found it interesting and amusing considering how racist my dad could be. 

I'm guessing it would be interesting to see the results of a family ancestry DNA tests, for you and your possible 3rd (or 4th) cousin.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, groupw said:

We have been researching our family history and we kept hitting a dead end at my great, great grandfather. Several months ago, someone on an online site sent my brother a photo of him in his Civil War uniform. He died in the war. 

If you haven't, see about pension records. This paid big dividends for me. Found another branch of the family in Michigan that no one knew existed - even researchers with far more skillz than me.

8 hours ago, groupw said:

interesting and amusing considering how racist my dad could be

"Y'know....if you go back far enough, we're all African...." ;)

• Heart 1

The family tree thing is interesting. I got into it several years ago, since I didn't carouse at night & not interested in much TV, it killed a lot of solo nights on the road. With Ancestry dot com, you can import other families' trees into your own. You have to be careful & watch dates & names, because some folks don't. I had two things that the software had a tough time with, 1) Wo2's GGF married a woman, had 8 kids, she died, he married her sister & had 8 more kids; and 2) I had a deep branch where two brothers married two sisters.

The tree on Wo2's paternal GGF side ends suddenly. In 10+ years of searching, I haven't been able to get beyond that point. Same with my maternal GGF's side (and I am having doubts about a 1st generation Irishman being named George Washington Munroe)

I see a lot of Irish/Scottish/English immigration in the middle half of the 1800s

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

In 10+ years of searching, I haven't been able to get beyond that point

There were three of us working on one woman in my tree. It took (guessing) about five years, but we finally figured out what happened to her. She was born fairly poor, her mother died when she was two and her father immediately moved to Rochester NY* and died not too long after that, so she knew little about her family, other than what her stepmother told her. She ended up marrying the son of one of the wealthiest men in Rochester, against the wishes of his family, and the family set out to wreck the marriage - and the son wasn't all that serious about marriage - so there is article after scandalous article in the paper. Once she finally divorced him, she dropped completely off the radar.

. Women are particularly tough because once they become "Mrs. XYZ" they no longer have a first name. In this case, the woman changed her first name several times.

@Airehead, any time you go past the Powers Building, give a thought to Mrs. William C Powers.

• Heart 3