So are you over, under, or properly whelmed?

Philander Seabury

I'm so over I've circled back around to over again. My 86yo mother fell on Thursday, broke three ribs, and ended up getting eight staples in her head. I headed up to see her on Saturday morning. The traffic was so think with people heading for the high country to escape the record setting heat that the hour and a half drive would have taken six hours or more.  I would have been gone for for about 12 hours, but I can't leave my chronically ill wife alone that long without making other arrangements, so I had to turn back.  I figured I'd try again on Monday. Yesterday as I was picking up my keys to head out the door, my MIL called. My 88yo FIL was in major pain and his right leg wasn't working.  Once again, I cancelled my trip north and took him to his doctor. The doc sent us straight to the ER. Turns out he may have ruptured a disk in his low back and pinched the nerve. They admitted him and are doing an MRI right now. The way my luck is going that hurricane is going to fly right out of the gulf and land in Arizona squarely on my roof.

Someone just shoot me now and get it over with...

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, UglyBob said:

I'm so over I've circled back around to over again. My 86yo mother fell on Thursday, broke three ribs, and ended up getting eight staples in her head. I headed up to see her on Saturday morning. The traffic was so think with people heading for the high country to escape the record setting heat that the hour and a half drive would have taken six hours or more.  I would have been gone for for about 12 hours, but I can't leave my chronically ill wife alone that long without making other arrangements, so I had to turn back.  I figured I'd try again on Monday. Yesterday as I was picking up my keys to head out the door, my MIL called. My 88yo FIL was in major pain and his right leg wasn't working.  Once again, I cancelled my trip north and took him to his doctor. The doc sent us straight to the ER. Turns out he may have ruptured a disk in his low back and pinched the nerve. They admitted him and are doing an MRI right now. The way my luck is going that hurricane is going to fly right out of the gulf and land in Arizona squarely on my roof.

Someone just shoot me now and get it over with...

Sorry to hear and I hope everyone recovers as quickly as possible.

On the bright side, think how much material you are gathering for future books.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Sorry to hear and I hope everyone recovers as quickly as possible.

On the bright side, think how much material you are gathering for future books.

Thanks, but I wasn't planning on writing a dystopian post-apocalyptic disaster novel... :frantics:

• Haha 1

I'm underwhelmed but nervous.

Thursday I get my temporary crown replaced with a permanent one and my teeth cleaned and checked. The checking part always makes me nervous.

My Team Maryland is leading Team Tennessee in a USA Team Chess League match 5.5 - 4.5.  Eight games (8 points) remain.

My 2 games are still going and I'm up 3 Pawns in one - a sure win if I can hold the advantage, but my opponent has the initiative.

I'm up 1 Pawn in the other - a Passed Pawn (no opponent's Pawn can interact with it) - and should win or draw.

If I can go 1.5 - .5 it would give us a big boost, but 2-0 would pretty much lock up the match and allow the other Maryland players to play for draws to win the match.

So I'm playing with a more attacking attitude than normal and that opens me up for mistakes. So I'm nervous about that, too.

In my game as White, my opponent just violated an important rule: when you are behind, trade Pawns not Pieces!

He just put his Queen where I could trade it for mine. I took it and then gave the conditional moves (2nd board) that if he takes my Queen with his Rook (almost a forced move), then I move my Rook to f1, protecting my Pawn.  With no Queen, it greatly limits how much he can complicate things.

1001128730_After27...Qd2-verybadmove-boardonly.JPG.67a6e11b8a3dea10f42f79f99ffafa0d.JPG  1443991050_After29Rf1.JPG.2f80c1147dc8c9e18ad394f28b9379a2.JPG

I'm one Pawn in my game as Black and have the initiative. I expect my Passed Pawn on c4 to cause problems for White.

1878571341_fter29.._Qd5.thumb.JPG.4bf9d562346816595664c22586688078.JPG

• 2 weeks later...