Are You A Conspiracy Theorist or A Conspiracy Skeptic?

Razors Edge

I find folks seems to be one or the other but not both, but there do seem to be a few who seems to swing wildly between the two types or the hopeless don't GAS types.

I fall, and have always fallen, into the "skeptic" category.  I'm a "show me your work" sort of person, rather than a "sweet talk me with your words" sort.

How about you?  My BiL is a B-L-A-S-T to spend a few hours talking to since he is heavily into alien conspiracies.  Lots of fun sci-fi talk, and if you just ride the wave with him, it can be fun.  But totally lacking in substance.  Of course, the beauty of that - the missing "substance" - is that it is a large part of the conspiracy theory itself.  Good times.

• Heart 1

I'm generally a conspiracy skeptic. But if you watch on PBS the various BBC miniseries done by British Royal Palaces Curator and Historian Lucy Worsley, you know there are some conspiracies likely to be going on all the time.  Lucy's latest 3-part miniseries are:

British History's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley (2017), American History's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley (2019), and Royal Myths and Secrets with Lucy Worsley (2020).  Fun to watch if you're into history and find out what you've been taught is unquestionably wrong!

For example, Queen Elizabeth I's most famous "I'm here to live and die amongst you" speech at Tilbury "as the Spanish Armada approached," was actually given over a week AFTER Elizabeth was told that the Spanish Armada had been destroyed by storms!

British History's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley (TV Series 2017 ... BBC presenter Lucy Worsley apologises for use of n-word: 'It wasn ...

26 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

No way that they could contrive a conspiracy much less keep it secret. 

.....but that's what they want you to think....

I used to work with a guy who started in about them putting mind control drugs in the contrails. I said "Do you really think that's the most effective way to distribute them? Why not pump them through the cable, right into your living room and make you pay for it?" 

I think I may have triggered something.

• Heart 1

I don't think there's such a thing as a "Conspiracy skeptic".  That implies disbelief in something that might be possible.

I've spent the past 3-1/2 years trying to figure out what it is that make people believe in conspiracies and cons, and how to have a rational discussion with them.  Basically, you can't tell them the truth or facts, it only makes the conspiracy more real.  And that's where I lose any concept of how it can even be a way of thinking

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

I don't think there's such a thing as a "Conspiracy skeptic".  That implies disbelief in something that might be possible.

I've spent the past 3-1/2 years trying to figure out what it is that make people believe in conspiracies and cons, and how to have a rational discussion with them.  Basically, you can't tell them the truth or facts, it only makes the conspiracy more real.  And that's where I lose any concept of how it can even be a way of thinking

It was set up that way from the beginning so that you had no chance.

• Heart 1

Skeptic.

Did we go to the moon? Almost certainly. Too many involved in a cover-up, too long, somebody reliable woulda spilled the beans by now.

Did Oswald kill Kennedy? Probably.

Extra-terrestrials? Almost certainly, It's an unimaginably huge universe that's been around for an inconceivably long time. Anyways, my theory is that when God scattered the people & confused their languages after the whole Tower of Babel incident, He really, really, REALLY scattered them.

Aliens anal probing rural Americans? Nope.

Must have been proposed by aliens. My friend was laughing about this yesterday as he opened a can.

What's a Busch latte?
For reasons beyond reasonable explanation, people have long referred colloquially to Busch Light as Busch Latte. ... The Anheuser-Busch brand beer has a new, temporary look that touts itself as "brewed for America's heartland." The cans, though they contain regular ol' Busch Light, are branded as Busch Latte.Aug 11, 2019