Son quits job

maddmaxx

I'm afraid that the teaching in Shenzhen finally came to an end.  He cannot return there due to virus restrictions on our citizens going there and they cut his pay in half for teaching online.  The refused to honor his contract involving far to many things so that's it.

Now he's hoping that they will actually send his life back.  All of his possessions that didn't arrive after Christmas in his backpack are in his room at the school.  A great deal of his savings are in a bank that won't respond to him other than in person at this time.  He was only to be here for 2 weeks and his bank card expired after he expected to be back there.

The perils of working overseas I guess.

• Sad 5

I am sorry to hear this, but I hope he's able to get a good job here.  A lot of schools have lost faculty and many families are looking for private tutors or private teachers to work with study pods.

Reading Ancient #7's suggestion, got me to thinking.

Suggest to your son to write your congressman.  They know people in influential positions.  They might be able to pull some strings at the State Dept.  to put pressure on the bank to free his funds.

Remember, there is an election this year and every vote counts.

• Awesome 3

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

The big question is what does a Pacific Rim ESL teacher do now.  Americans are not high on the popularity list at the moment.  Most borders are closed to us.

Businesses still need to communicate, even during a pandemic. I'm sure there are companies out there that off ESL virtually. He might do some searching on that. Is he on LinkedIn? That might be a good place to get established and try to pick up some connections and leads.

14 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Businesses still need to communicate, even during a pandemic. I'm sure there are companies out there that off ESL virtually. He might do some searching on that. Is he on LinkedIn? That might be a good place to get established and try to pick up some connections and leads.

The online ESL companies are to a great degree robber barons.  It's a low pay part time job at most of those places. Hands on classroom teaching is the best by far.

15 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

This is a fantastic suggestion.

When I graduated high school, I was talking with my best friend about what we were going to study at college.  He said, Japanese.  I thought, "why the hell would anyone hire some one just because they knew a second language.  This is America after all, everyone speaks American."  This was the early 80's and I was stupid.

Fast forward to our 20th reunion.  He got a great job at a major importer and got to travel the world.  Don't under estimate the value of l owing multiple languages.  It is a global market place.

• Heart 2

My advice is that while schools are more or less shut down and he's living at home for free he go get his American teaching degree.  In a strange set of global circumstances he's certified to teach anywhere in the world except here.  In the past he has had a contract with a countries government to teach teachers how to teach ESL.  He's been doing this for about 20 years.  He's fluent in Japanese (spoken).  He needs work to get a job as a translator for a company because of the amount of reading and writing needed.  He's moderately fluent in Mandarin.  After all his now divorced Chinese wife taught him a whole new version of cuss words.

The biggest problem is that he simply doesn't want to be here in this country.  He feels that he would have been much safer back in China or Japan, possibly even Malaysia or Thailand.  I can't argue with that.

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My advice is that while schools are more or less shut down and he's living at home for free he go get his American teaching degree.  In a strange set of global circumstances he's certified to teach anywhere in the world except here.  In the past he has had a contract with a countries government to teach teachers how to teach ESL.  He's been doing this for about 20 years.  He's fluent in Japanese (spoken).  He needs work to get a job as a translator for a company because of the amount of reading and writing needed.  He's moderately fluent in Mandarin.  After all his now divorced Chinese wife taught him a whole new version of cuss words.

The biggest problem is that he simply doesn't want to be here in this country.  He feels that he would have been much safer back in China or Japan, possibly even Malaysia or Thailand.  I can't argue with that.

I'm sorry to hear that his firm ripped him off. 

Hope he finds work.. maybe a North American firm that needs bilingual translated material.  He will have alot of competition.

Do you need to be licensed to act as a private tutor?  The crazy online schooling (and many places don't have good online systems set up, so I expect need to increase as the semester goes on)will create more need than usual for unique learning methods this year.

48 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Are there still Academy of the Pacific Rim charter schools in the US?  I know at one time, they had a couple good ones in NY and Mass.  Not sure where else.

His school was associated with Rutgers and the University of Rochester.  That's why we made that god awful trip a couple of years ago to get all the paperwork in line.  Associated with is not the same as employed by.  Bummer.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

How are his maintenance/caretaker skills? Could he get a boilers license and a pool license..we need someone at my condo.

I know it's not teaching...but

That's what youngest son did after getting laid off and losing his condo to the underwater swimming club.  He is now a custodian in our school system.  The pay is lower, the benefits are better and the commute is very short.  One moment he's and unhappy junior engineer and the next he's a happy janitor.  Suits his lifestyle better.