Home appraisal can be higher ..if you're perceived as white owner

shootingstar

It's pretty f*cked...but I believe the shit that can happen, even now in the 21st century.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/realestate/blacks-minorities-appraisals-discrimination.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

So the couple removed their black art depictions, family photos and got their home listed more easily at $$$$ thousands of dollars more. 

Just to give an real example:  My sister with her hubby were selling their house.  She went for a walk while agent showed house.  The real estate agent heard that customers didn't want to buy from Asians nor live near Asians.  Oh yea, sister is married to my white brother-in-law...with an Anglo last name that my sister adopted when she married.

Example 2:  I told this to my real estate agent (who was white) when selling my condo in Toronto. She told me that prospective buyers look directory for "foreign" last names in condo buildings.  

Sometimes the person who seems so assimilated to you... experiences things differently because they have no choice unless they get surgery.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Ohhhhh, this makes SS mad.  I have never seen you cuss.  It's kind of cute, cause you seem somewhat proper and refined.  

People expect this sort of talk from me, but not you.  HAHA

One of the home sellers featured in this article...was a black aerospace engineer living in a very nice predominantly white neighbourhood this year. 

I gave 2 personal stories, DH.  My sister was furious when she experienced it.  I made sure her daughter knew this story. She would have been a preschooler at that time.

24 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

One of the home sellers featured in this article...was a black aerospace engineer living in a very nice predominantly white neighbourhood this year. 

I gave 2 personal stories, DH.  My sister was furious when she experienced it.  I made sure her daughter knew this story. She would have been a preschooler at that time.

I don’t know Canadian race relations well enough but I honestly didn’t know it was a problem there.  I mean Canadians are so nice...

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I am certain that this disgusting practice is something that happens.  It shouldn't.  The world has a bunch of fucked up things in it.  

Sorry, I just loved your use of profanity.  

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I am certain that this disgusting practice is something that happens.  It shouldn't.  The world has a bunch of fucked up things in it.  

Sorry, I just loved your use of profanity.  

It's funny.  A well placed "fuck" or even "shit" from someone that rarely utters profanity has such an effect on people.  I am with you.  I like it.

• Hugs 1